I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap crash & burn
Posted by: Ron Petley (---.autobahn.mb.ca)
Date: May 10, 2008 02:05PM

I tried my first tiger wrap, gold metalic, and black size A underwrap, a thick coat of high build epoxy, must have used enough to coat a whole rod for a 4 inch wrap.
When I did the top wrap, black size A, 24 hours later I had a hard time getting the thread to wrap even, because it stuck and created a grouve in the epoxy I could not burnish it into better shape.
So I suspect, I might have made the epoxy not uniform enough, despite it looking good. Might let the epoxy dry more so the thread will move around on it . Or my thread tension was to tight. Or any tips from the forum as to hepl make the top wrap better.
The thread did cut into the epoxy enough that when I took off the top threads, both of them, the tiger effect was very good without the thread.
Cheers Ron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap crash & burn
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2008 02:22PM

What type finish did you you use, and was it properly mixed? Some epoxies take longer to cure hard than others.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2008 02:34PM

I'd give it a bit more time to harden up. A couple days at least.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2008 02:43PM

Double post, sorry!!!

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2008 02:45PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2008 07:09PM

Maybe too much finish? A level finish over the bottom wrap really makes life much easier when wrapping up top. I've found multiple light coats of finish works well in the end. For freshwater rods, bottom threads, I like to use two coats of TM - the first just enough to wet the threads (wicking excess away), a second "normal" TM coat, then one coat of TM Lite. Top layer usually ends up with one coat of each - TM and TM Lite. Just my madness, there's probably 101 other ways to get a great finish!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 07:12PM

Ron Petley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The thread did cut into the epoxy enough that
> when I took off the top threads, both of them, the
> tiger effect was very good without the thread.

This almost sounds like you were taking off both threads? Maybe I am misunderstanding, but you leave one top thread and pullout the other.

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 11:07PM

I used Diamond2 on the first tiger wrap I did on a rod for a customer. From my practice sessions I figured out, for me anyway, that if I leave it three to four days the wrap comes out a lot better. I sure hope so becuase I have one curing now...........Have a good days guys and gals......

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Ron Petley (---.autobahnaccess.com)
Date: May 11, 2008 12:58PM

Thank you all for your help/input. I think it was, as listed above, too thick a coat of epoxy all at one go I really gloped it on and as a result it was not all that even. It is still cold in my basement, here in the frozen north, so this must have slowed the cure of the eopxy.
I am useing American Tackle high build, mostly because that is what I have to use right now.
I did not take off both threade until I decided it was a bust, but when I had them both off it did retain the effect, I think the thread cut quite deep into the finish.
With youe above help I will venture forth and try again, thanks.
Cheers Ron.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster