I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2008 02:01PM

RodMaker Magazine reached a milestone with today's mail - our 100,000th subscriber (no, I don't have that many active subscribers, this is just the total since day one. They come and they go).

Since there were 8 new subscriptions in today's mail, I can't say which was the exact one to reach that 100,000 number. But it was nice to see the culmination of something that few ever thought possible. After all, custom rod building is such a terribly small craft, or so many thought/think.

Since I try to track the numbers and like fooling around with them anyway, here are a few stats you may find interesting.

Top 6 states in RodMaker subscriptions:

Florida
North Carolina
Texas
California
Virginia
New York

Each of these has at least 700 active and current subscribers.

Number of subscribers who have been on board since the first issue: 117

Number of subscribers who have been on board since the first volume (year): 751

Number of individual women subscribers (over the past 11 years): 3,213.

Number of individual women currently active on the subscription list: 422

I thought the number of women involved was interesting as you often hear that there aren't many female rod builders. I would assume, however, that at least some of these are subscribing for their husbands - I'm just going by first names that appear to be female names.

It would be nice to have more information on age, years active in the craft, etc., but I don't want to ask those sort of questions when someone subscribes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100,000
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 03:13PM

Very Interesting!!!! Thanks

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 03:23PM

WOW! That's great! Has the magazine been around for 11 years?Here's to another 100,000.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 03:23PM

Judging from the number of women who prizes at the magazine reception I would not doubt it!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2008 03:34PM

Exactly 11 as of this past April. During that time it has dispensed more new rod building information than any other medium in the history of custom rod building and reached more rod builders than any other vehicle including the internet.

But I feel pretty certain it won't be around to see another 100,000 subscribers, however. Unless somebody buys it, that is. I'm not likely to live that long.

Women won over half the door prizes at each of the last 2 receptions. At least some of them are the wives of male rod builders who were in attendance. Although, 68 of the registration forms were filled out by women who indicated that they were themselves custom rod builders. It isn't a men's only craft by any means.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 05:51PM

Over 11 years and 100,000 copies, that’s not bad for a magazine that was only going to last a couple of years from what some people said. They said the magazine would run out of thing to write about.
Great job Tom!

Lynn Williams

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 07, 2008 08:54PM

Ditto Lynn, my thoughts exactly. Great job Tom. You da man !
The number of females involved surprises me too.

Going to have to wear a dress to the RM Reception at the Big Show next year. Billy V and Doc Ski.....We will vote on the best looking one.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2008 09:00PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 09:40PM

As a new subscriber this year I am so glad there is a dedicated publication to this craft that is my absolute favorite, Rod Making! I look forward to being a long-time subscriber.

Thank you, Tom, for your perseverance with this magazine and generosity with sharing your knowledge so freely (and with pictures!).

I have been buying back issues by the sackfull...and wish I could get some of the older ones now out of print!

Les Cline

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 10:00PM

Congrats and may there be 100,000 more!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster