I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Prep Guide Feet - file or grinder?
Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 11:58AM

So what is everyone's favorite way to prep guide feet. I'm getting tired of the file and thinking of a rechargable dremel or something

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prep Guide Feet - file or grinder?
Posted by: Shea McPherson (---.directus.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 12:05PM

I've always used a 1" belt sander I have in the shop. Using 320-400 grit paper, can be very quick. Just be cautious, it can take more if you aren't paying attention. It leaves a smooth finish, is usually contoured, works great.

Shea McPherson

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: May 05, 2008 12:21PM

I had been using file and Dremel until I tried the bench grinder... I'll neve look back!

Posted by: vance corbett (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 12:40PM

I use the Dremel tool in a Craftsman rotary tool workstation. (Dremel makes a workstation just like Craftsman's... or is it the other way around?). The workstation allows you to use the Dremel as both a mini-bench grinder and a drill press. After rough shaping with the Dremel, I use a combination of an inexpensive jewelers file and Klingspor cloth-baked abrasive glued to a tongue depressor for final dressing. Regards, Vance

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 01:10PM

Ted,
Like mny of the others I use a grinding wheel, which is very aggressive. If I'm not careful, I over grind and have to toss a guide. Recently I read a copy of Rodmaker where Tom Kirkman uses a sanding pad attached to a lathe. I think that might be the best solution.

When I finish the rough shaping, I switch to 1200 or 1500 grit emery cloth and smooth the surface. I finish by polishing with a small square of crocus cloth. This final polishing allows me to pack the threads easily when wrapping.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.226.---)
Date: May 05, 2008 01:22PM

I bought an electric hook sharpener at a fishing fleamarket this winter and it works great. It has a thin fine grit grinding wheel. Tried the file but this is much faster and easier.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2008 01:57PM

Sanding is quickest and easiest. Although file, used properly, is nearly as quick.

Give a sanding belt or disc a try. You're apt to like it. 100 to 120 grit is all you need.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 02:12PM

I use a 1" belt sander which was a fine grit, but after "MANY" years of use still cuts great and I now don't have to worry about too much material being removed if I don't pay attention.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 02:38PM

I use a very small grinder with a unified wheel that I found at Harour Freight cheap. You can grind the feel then use the unified wheel to dress them and smooth any burrs. It's variable speed to boot. Works great.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 02:39PM

What do you use for a Fuji titanium frame single foot size 6 and smaller fly guide? After working a few of these on a belt sander I am in shape to crack open safes with my bloody finger tips.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 02:47PM

I use a diamond disc on a dremel on size 6 and smaller single foot guides and use a belt sander at times on larger ones.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 03:34PM

For small guides I use a small Exacto blade holder. Way back in the stone age when money was tight. I got a old electric can opener that had a knife sharpener.. I cut the shield off and low and behold. I had a guide foot grinder that cost me 5 bucks. The stone I the one I have is a fine oil stone. After grinding I just take a mixture of Denatured Alcohol a little liquid soap and water, wash off the guides and dry them and go wrapping. Oh yes as for the bottom of the guide feet I use a fine flat file and finish off with a fine oil stone
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 04:07PM

I use small nylon bolts of various sizes and a Dremel in stand. Works great! Easier to show pic than try to explain [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2008 04:08PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 04:40PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you use for a Fuji titanium frame single
> foot size 6 and smaller fly guide? After working a
> few of these on a belt sander I am in shape to
> crack open safes with my bloody finger tips.

Good one! You crack me up sometimes. I use the small nylon screw like Mike B. for my fly guides, but anything size 4mm and smaller I just hold them and hit them with a rubber polishing wheel on my Dremel. Yes, sometimes I hit my fingers, but it is a very fine grit. For larger guides I start with disk sander.

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 06:04PM

Thanks guys lots of good ideas - I might try a mini bench grinder some day ot maybe the belt sander. I did find a nifty product from Dremel called the Stylus - cordless, but the charging base can be used to hold the tool. I used an alum oxide disk and dressed the end of an extra guide - nice and slick. Uses Li batteries as well. For now I think I'm set. Now it time to rebuild the bench - make it bigger and better.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 07:34PM

Chuck,

"Good one! You crack me up sometimes", only sometimes!?!?! I am rolling on the floor on almost every one of his posts, except the really serious ones. I just love that cajun humor. If anyone has ever heard of Rev. Jessie DuPlantis, he has the same humorous way about him while he's preaching. He was born on the bayough (sp?) as was Bill.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 08:09PM

Vance - Dreml "private labels" the units for Craftsman. Craftsman hasn't made anything of their own for many years. And the lifetime warranty isn't lifetime anymore - just try to turn something back to them sometime.

We use the holder sold by Mud Hole and several other sponsors. We like the disc-sander on a disk/belt sander with about a 220 disc. For final dressing you can use a small jeweler's file.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2008 01:07AM

Bill

For the small Titanium and others similar single foot guides, I just hold the guide rings by having the ring under the finger nails of my thumb and forefinger.

Kerry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 08:09AM

The 30 inch - 1 inch wide belt sander works great.
This sander is such a universal tool that if you do much of anything, you will find a use for it.
It can sand any type material, fix guides, sharpen knives, shape wood etc. etc. etc.

Get a selection of belts - ranging from 80 grit to 450 grit. Us the coarse grits for fast heavy material removal and use 450 grit for final knife sharpening, or remove earlier scratches.

[www.harborfreight.com]

-------------------
When prepping guides, I have a few different wood artist paint brush handles to pop in the guides to hold the guides.
The paint brush handles are tapered. So, I use some small handles to take care of the smaller guides, and then use larger handles to take care of the larger guides.
Of course the large guides are easily held in your fingers.
However, the use of the 4-8 guides wor much better with the use of the tapered wood sticks to hold the guide as the foot is being prepped.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: May 06, 2008 07:50PM

1" belt sander then, hit it with a unified wheel. Perfect every time and it takes about 40 seconds a guide.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster