I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spin cast rod and reels for disabled, line question..
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: May 04, 2008 11:25AM

I am lucky enough to participate in putting some fishing gear together for some special campers at the Lions camp in Rosholt Wisconsin (http://www.wisconsinlionscamp.com/About%20Us.htm). There are about 1500 campers that go through the camp every year. They cater to the visual, and hearing impaired children as well as those with diabetes. There is a nice lake on site and the campers love to fish. I will be involved in repairing rods, collecting and donating used rod and reel set ups, and putting new line on the camp's 40 plus rod and reel packages. The camp prefers the closed face spin cast type rods and reels to make it easiest on the campers.

Last time I used a closed face reel was when my daughter was 10 (16 years ago). I am asking advice from this board as to the best line test and brand of line to buy. Remember, I expect to reline about 75 reels so I will be buying in bulk. Primary goal is to find line that does not twist quite as easily as the line and reels I used long ago. Any suggestions on exact brand and pound test would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there any special technique for putting the line on the spin cast reels to reduce line twist. I do have a line winding machine that puts tension on the line while it is being wound on the reel but I am not sure if that would work in this case.

“Fishermen are born honest. But they get over it.” – Humorist Ed Zern, 1944.

Thanks,
Buzz Butters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spin cast rod and reels for disabled, line question..
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2008 11:35AM

The line needs to go come off the bulk spool in the same direction that it is being wound onto the reel.

If you are removing the spools and putting them in a line winder, then you can just set the reel spool and bulk line spool like 2 wheels on the same side of a car.

If you are going to wind the line onto the reels via the reel itself, then you need to place the bulk line spool flat on the ground. The coils should come off the bulk spool the same way they are going onto the reel. Make a few turns of the reel handle and relax the line and see if it twists or kinks. If no, then all is well. If it does, then flip the bulk spool over to the opposite end and set that end face down on the ground.

Buddy Owens probably does more work with kids fishing and rod building than anyone in the Country. If you want his address or phone number email me directly and I'll pass it on. He would have a great deal of experience in this area and I'm sure he'd be glad to help you.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 12:17PM

Buzz; When I put line on an open faced spinning reel or a spin cast reel I always lay the spool of line on the floor with the brand name facing upward. The line always comes off the spool and goes on the reel the correct way. Just a rule of thumb.
I would spool up the reels with 8 or 10 lb Clear Stren or Berkley Trilene line if it is available in your area. Don't go over 10 lb test, the reels wont respond well to any heavier line unless you really know what you are doing. One more thing, I wouldn't fill the reels completely full of line, leave about 1/8 inch of spool showing and don't wind on with too much tension.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2008 12:18PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 12:29PM

Buzz,

If you need help building those rods or repairing them, let me know. This is mostly what I do. Rebuild / customize old castoffs and give them to kids. Follow Tom and JB's spooling advice, and you'll be good to go!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: William Brake (12.206.98.---)
Date: May 04, 2008 10:14PM

Buzz if you could check with Bass Pro or Cabela's they may have some bulk line on cleareance. They may even have some rods and reels they would donate for such a project. Bass Pro here has a reel exchange day and that is what they do with the old reels.

Posted by: James Reed (---.sal.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 10:37PM

I don't know much about rod building, but this is a subject I can help with!

I have tried almost every line out there over the years, from trout fishing small streams in PA to off-shore stuff.

without a doubt the line you want to use is sufix tritanium plus(any color). This line is grand daddy of durability and it has little memory to it. Your two biggest challenges are line twist from repeated and maybe incorrect usage and general wear and tear. Ande Premium (pink) would be my second choice, for this situation is almost as good as the sufix but doesn't have quite the abrasive resistance quality's that the co-polymer coated sufix tri has. Berkley big game would also be a good choice, I just can't remember off the top of my head if they make it in smaller diameters (like 8 and 10). I am pretty sure they do though.

I am sure you already know this, but make sure you stay away from any braid or super mono's. While they are awesome lines in some situations, this isn't one of them.

Also stay away from any of the cheap'o line you can buy in bulk at the local walmart. This stuff will twist like anything and gets really brittle after only a couple times out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster