I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Modulus of SCIII GL2 and G1000
Posted by: Michele Aloi (---.cust.tele2.it)
Date: May 04, 2008 08:03AM

Hi Guys,

I would build a musky-rod using one of these graphite blanks: ST. Croix SCIII, GLoomis GL2, Lamiglas G1000.

I would know modulus of them and which one is lighter.

best Regards

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modulus of SCIII GL2 and G1000
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2008 09:14AM

I don't think the companies publish the physical weights of their blanks any more. It's a shame, but I understand why. I would expect these would be fairly similar, however.

You'd probably have to get the modulus numbers from the companies themselves or from their literature on their blanks.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 09:42AM

st. croix lists its weights and Custom Tackle Supply has an old list of g. loomis blanks they show the weights there. lamiglass show the weights too but the last blank i bought the weight was off by almost 2Ozs sheesh, heavier BTW.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 11:47AM

In my opinion the G 1000 and GL2 blanks are from the same graphite used in the Forecast blanks, I think the SCII blanks are the same also. The SC III is one step better I think, probably similar to IM6 material and a bit lighter if built on the same mandrel as the others, if not they could be all over the place depending blank taper and butt diameter they were designed with. Haven't built musky rods on the St Croix or Lamiglas blanks, but the GL2 blanks I've used were very nice and had a good power to weight ratio for their purpose.

Posted by: Michele Aloi (---.cust.tele2.it)
Date: May 04, 2008 01:42PM

Gl2 should be 42 milllion modulus. and G1000 should be really similar
SCIII (Avid 7' 3 oz musky rod) is 3 1/2 oz weight and Lamiglas (musky rod 7' 3 oz) is 4 1/2 oz.....so SCIII shoub be have higher modulus....

Someone could tell me more?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 03:01PM

Weights of blanks are controlled by a lot of factors other than modulus. Light and durable blanks are presently on the market that use multi modulus technology. The multi modulus technology results in light weight blanks that are more durable that their high modulus brethren.

For more general information on the subject search this board for :

Modulus and Marketing
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 11:57PM

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 04:13PM

Not necessarily Michael as all things in rod building aren't equal, what St Croix says will throw 3 oz has no direct relationship to what Lamiglas says will throw 3 oz . They are both judgement calls that were put in the catalog, there is no science or common measurement system used to reach these values. There can also be typographical errors in the published weights or ratings.
Same thing happens with all forms of blanks, one person's 8 wt is another's 7 or 9 wt depending on how much line they carry in the air and their casting style and stroke speed. Happens all the time on surf blanks and other blanks also.
Picking modulus, etc. just isn't the best way to get to the end result your looking for, they can only help narrow the field some.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 08:16AM

I agree with Spencer on this one.
The way to pick the blank is to pick up feel and if possible test cast a rod using this blank under consideration.
The modulus and blank weight is simply not the way to judge a blanks capability.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster