I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ATC Vetre handle for newbe?
Posted by: Robert Bryson (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 03, 2008 08:14PM

I've never built a rod and only know what I've read about it.........So, I have a 9' 2-piece graphite steelhead blank and would like to try to build a casting rod on it. I just got a catalogue from Mudhole and the ATC Vetre handles look good to me (I'm mainly looking for sensitivity and Durability) Has anyone out there used these handles enough to comment on these 2 requirements? .....ALSO, would this handle be more difficult or less to fit considering that I don't have any prior rodbuilding experience? ALSO...Is this handle slick enough to cause difficulty holding onto? MANY THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE HERE

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ATC Vetre handle for newbe?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2008 09:19PM

Robert,

My first build uses the Batson woven graphite tubing in a split grip. It is much the same concept as the ATC handle. Mine uses two sections of tapered foregrip, but they sell a straight piece as well. The only differences are that you use a standard reel seat, and the straight handle uses a couple of straight proof board shims. The shims are very easy to shape, I reamed mine by hand. The other bushings are EVA, and slide into place with ease when done according to Tom's instructions in his book.

When I was considering using the woven graphite handle, I couldn't find any good pictures of the components, so I will post a couple in the handle section of the photo board for you to take a look at.

As of yet, I don't have any info on durability, but they are as sensitive as any handle I have used.

Joe

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: May 03, 2008 09:20PM

I have a couple of them and think they are sensitive and durable enough. They are as durable as any other clear coated graphite type handle.... meaning I wouldn't want to bounce it too much off the rocks or it will scratch.

Only thing I would consider is that if your steelheading is in cold weather, it may be somewhat of a cold handle to hold onto.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 03, 2008 09:47PM

I haven't found a grip made from any material so far tthat is slick while I fish it. Amtack I'm told asked for a heavier walled tubing on the handles they bought from Vetre for additional durability. I haven't used one myself, but Am Tack had a few Matrix/Vetre rods they had built up on display at the NW Rodbuilding Show at Lamiglas some years ago and I thought they were a bit heavier than they needed to be when I handled them.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 08:40AM

I have built both the spinning & baitcasting versions and have found them very easy to install. They are light weight, do not slip when wet & feel good in my hand. I especially like the spinning handle cause once the handle is tighten on the reel you just fell the smooth handle & not any rings, groves, threads, etc. I also like the ease in which I can extend a rod length. I have made several 6 ft rods into 6.6 without much work since the rear part of the handle screws into the reel seat. I just install the blank with tape arbors on the handle section. I can then install the rear handle section cutting it down to whatever length I want. I have found the 10" handle kit great for this type of application. In fact I do not have to shorten it at all for my handle length preference.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 07, 2008 01:01AM

Hi Robert,

I saw your post and had to repsond. Obviously I am quite biased here but I personally use many of these handles and absolutely love them. They will fulfill both of your needs quite well. For sensitivety, I feel the graphite tubing is more firm and will transmit vibrations better then cork. I also have my fingers directly on the blank while fishing since there isn't a lot of fore-grip to get in the way. Durablity is obvious, although the tubing might scratch, it will not break and there is no filling to come out in chunks and you can't make a dent in it. for grip, I much prefer the harder surface to handle rather then soft EVA or cork and as yet, have never dropped a rod with a graphite tube handle.

All that being said, as a rod builder there is so much you can do with this handle. Its rear locking grip means you will never feel the threads of the seat and your hand is always directly on the grip. The design options are only limited as your imagination, some examples are:
-cover the tubing with shrink tube for a softer feel
-add thread wraps to the tubing to add color or specific decorative designs
-cut to length to make specific handle sizes
-lenghten rod by pushing blank to edge of the handle when gluing
-put cork or EVA grips over the handle to add a better grip or ergonomic palm swells
-ditch the tubing and cover seat with a cork handle, can even cut it shorter for a small split grip design
-my favorite and craziest idea yet is to leave the blank in the handle and use boot warmers around the blank for the below freezing steelhead fishing

I am sure there's a ton of other ideas but these are all on my rods now and as I said I love them. Give one a try and you might love them as much as me.

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster