I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Powell Rod Blanks
Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.but-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 02, 2008 09:41PM

Hi All
I'm looking for info on the Powell Rod Manufacturer that operated in Chico, CA in the 70's and 80's. I attended Chico State in the mid 70's. The Powell rod shop was my first exposure to custom rods (bamboo and graphite). Their Graphite rods were the first of their kind my friends and I fished. I still own and fish two of their bamboo rods. Anyway, a fishing buddy from those days has asked me to build him a fly rod from a Powell blank. I cannot find any info on them in Chico. Are they still in business? Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Joe Luebeck
Butte, MT

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powell Rod Blanks
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.cityofnapa.org)
Date: May 02, 2008 10:29PM

Joe,

The Powell company you knew is no longer around. Although Powell is still in business, it is run by different owners. They do still manufacture rods, but only completed rods, no blanks. They are now based out of Novato California, and their product line is heavy with bass rods and I believe only one series of fly rods. I do miss hanging out at the old shop as I went to Chico State myself!! I think the only way you are going to find a blank is from old stock or that @#$%& website!!!

Hope that helps,
Paul

Posted by: Michael Murchison MT (---.nocal.dialup.o1.com)
Date: May 02, 2008 10:39PM

Ya may try calling Eugene Powell @ 530-533-7414 I too have a powell fly rod made by PaPa Powell when he was in Pardise.... Rod # 0046

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 03, 2008 12:14AM

I have a few Powell graphite 9 wt blanks still in the shop.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: May 03, 2008 05:39AM

Spencer do you or did you ever have a Powell Hexograph fly rod? I got one some time in the 80's. It was a 10 wt. A great steelhead rod. Oh yes thank you for the offer to help on my custom grip. I put my brain dead mind to work and designed one from cork an burel.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2008 06:26AM

Joe,
Powell rods was purchased by Keith Bryan in 2002, he worked for Powell rods before he purchased the company. Keith also moved the company I think in 2004 to Novato, CA which is north of the San Francisco area.
Keith is an avid bass fisherman so he added a line of bass rods. I worked with Keith a little on some bass rods before I moved from California to Kentucky.
If you would like to get in contact with Keith let me know.

Powell’s web site:
[www.powellco.com]

Lynn Williams

Date: May 03, 2008 10:59AM

Why have Powell rods made it up to Wash. State. Never seen them up here? I ask Cabelas and Sportsmans WareHouse in Lacy WA and they never heard of the rod. What a laugh, these stores are so knowledgeable
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.but-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 03, 2008 04:48PM

Thanks for all the replies! What I was looking for was a graphite 6 wt 2 piece Powell, similar to what they were selling 6 to 8 years ago (longer?). My bamboo rods came from Portola CA circa 1984 through 88. Evidently there was a split in the Powell clan and the guy that built my rods relocated at least for awhile to Portola. There may be a rod building TV drama here... BTW, I really liked the Hexagraph rods they built, just kind of heavy. Also, I agree their shop was a great place to to go as a neophyte fly fisher / rod builder, GREAT people. I really liked the windows into the rod shop, that was my first view of how a fly rod came into the world.

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 11:36AM

Bob,
No, I've only got to play with the newer vresions of the Hexagraph rods, I think I have the Powell LGA blue blanks, got them from Vern from D&E rods when he closed up his shop, he got them as payment for some work he did for them and wasn't paid for. He was making steelhead drift rods out of them he told me.

Date: May 04, 2008 01:27PM

Spencer How I was introduced to the Hex rod. back in the 80's, I read a advertsment (Powell Rods) to try out the rod for free for a month. So I called and talked to Mr. Powell. All he asked was what wt. Fly rod. length. type of grip and reelseat I wanted. He next thing he said was, I need your address and 2 weeks. My comment was send it and do you want my cdedit card number. I need the address to send the dam rod too. I do not need any thing upfront, you like it you buy it , if not send it back. I talked to a Grandson a few years later. He said Mr. Powell losts a lot of money on that type of deal. I think I paid around 250 back then. A free deal like that is unheard of today. I understand Powells cometment was a a handshake and your word
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: May 05, 2008 06:15PM

Contact John or Larry at the Chico fly shop I bet they be able to shed some light on this subject. 530-345-9983...

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster