I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Website Feedback
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 09:48AM

I'm going to put this "live" for just a little while so I can get some feedback on my layout/look, etc. It's going to be a bit before I am ready to launch this but I'm tinkering with the website.

I'd appreciate and constructive feedback you care to share.

Please know the pics, prices, etc is all subject to change. It's all really there as a rough draft at the moment.

Thanks!

[www.alxrods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Website Feedback
Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.sip.pfn.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 10:06AM

I like the website. Its very easy. The only thing I dont like and its not just you is that there are pages that are empty. Like the pre built section, many web sites do this and never add anything to these pages, just my 2 cents. Over all I'll give you an 8 out of ten.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 10:12AM

Alex;
The lay out looks good, but I think if you are only charging $60.00 per rod including labor and materials excluding blanks and handles.
You are shooting your self in the foot and working way to cheap!
But that's just my opinion

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2008 10:13AM

I think it has a very professional look about it. Well done.

I do want to mention something that comes up from time to time and this is as good a place as any - I don't mind if the users here list their personal custom rod websites under their posts or in their signatures. However, this is not allowed if you sell anything other than custom rods. That includes sales of blanks, components, reels, bait, tackle, guide service, lightbulbs, potatoes, etc. (This is fully covered in the board rules listed at the top of the forum column). Thanks.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 11:02AM

Crisp, and to the point! Very professional

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.209.---)
Date: April 29, 2008 12:01PM

Looks good , Alex.. I'm in Chas.-guessing from your area code, you're mid-state I would think. If I'm up your way I would to visit if you will be set up to accept tourists.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 12:16PM

I think it looks SHARP as well ... good job.

Do read Tom's primer on Excise tax when you get a chance ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 12:35PM

Awesome site!! As Steve said, IMO your selling yourself short in your build charge, ie....what if you have someone who wants an elaborate thread wrap, or marbling, etc. One last thing, on your home page you need to correct the spelling to RECREATIONAL unles REACTIONAL is what you meant.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 05:27PM

He does say the parts are charged at retail, so i am sure he is making a bit of mark up on every item plus his labor on top of that. Site looks great, good luck with everything.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 10:59PM

Alex,

Very nice looking website. You should be very busy if your pricing stays as posted. Hope you make enough to cover the cost of the website. They can get pricey. I like the about me page where it gives access to your customers your credibility thru your other buisness and @#$%& sales.
Wish you all the luck with the website.

Mike

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 11:17PM

Wow! Thank you for all the positive and constructive feedback!

I've been playing and laying this out for a while. I want to do it right.

I'm still really trying to work through the whole pricing strategy right now. I'm torn and after reading RodMaker, it seems folks are kinda all over the place with how they price. Some are common things, some are variables. Just looking at Vol 8 Issue 4, a bass casting rod builder fee could go from $50 - $240. Makes it hard to gauge where one should start pricing so I went on the low end since I haven't been in the game too long (7 mos). I'd welcome any thoughts anyone cares to share on how they price and why they think that their structure is successful. I had thought about pricing wholesale, but Chase is right, I'm pricing parts at retail so I'm seeing a markup there already. Again, I am torn on how I want to price and really need to figure that one out!

Bill -
Elaborate wraps and items like marbling would be more. I added that as an option. Thanks.

Chris Davis -
I'm up in Aiken. Come visit. We've got a great town. My shop is nothing to look at, but never know what could come out of some collaboration! I'm originally from Charleston. Drop me an email and lets talk! If nothing else, maybe I can share some of my old fishing spots with ya!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2008 08:16AM

If you read the entire article, you may remember that it recommends taking the high and the low figures, tossing them out and then adding up and averaging the remainder.

My personal recommendation is that you never charge less than $100 for your labor on any rod you build. This is a pretty inexpensive charge these days for having much of anything done and if you charge less than that you may find that the rod building business is simply not worth enough to go to the trouble to operate it.

In the end, and depending on the clientele you cultivate, if you sell everybody - you're too cheap. If you sell nobody - you're too expensive. If you sell to many but lose a few - you're just about right.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2008 10:41AM

Alex, I think it looks great. Very clean and professional. I am working currently working on my site, and your's has given me some ideas. Thanks

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 30, 2008 12:01PM

That's a huge compliment. Thanks Scott!

Believe it or not, I used the online web builder tool my provider has and just used one of their stock templates. I monkeyed with it a little (removed stock pics, etc), but that's about all it is.

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: May 01, 2008 07:51AM

Pricing is the most difficult thing any of us face daily. I build rods here in Michigan where the dominent fishing catagory is walleye and Salmon trolling. I find that I can't charge nearly as much labor for these guys as I can for a bass rod or a fly rod customer. These guys will run anywhere from 6 to a dozen rods at a time, they can't afford to pay $200 a rod in todays economy. Doesn't help when the chain stores offer rods at $30 that will do the job. I redently had a booth at a local sportfishing expo. I was positioned across from a local retail giant. They had Storm trolling combos priced at $29.95 with an Okuma Magda 30 linecounter!! 9 out of 10 casual lookers quickly put down the custom rods to walk across and purchase four of the cheapos. We are after that single guy that understands the difference. A stream fishermen carrying a single stealhead rod, will in most cases realize and justify a $500 rod for his application. I find that I have different labor rates for different types of client. Like Tom said, you win some, you lose some. If you are selling every customer that walks in, you are definetly selling yourself and the craft too short. I only give rough examples with a pricing disclaimer on my website to avoid being pinned down to pricing.

Tony Childs
www.eyefullcustomrods.com

I only sell finished rods, no parts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster