I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FYI, Final coat on my foam/graphite handles
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 06:41PM

I've done alot of experimenting with foam core handles so far, and instead of using spray urethane I have been using a thin coat or two of the light Threadmaster as the final coat. It seems to really give a full luster to the graphite underneath. It makes the handle look like it has a deeper coat than there really is, just like the clearcoat on a car. More so than just the spray urethane. Makes sense of course, being that there is a little more clearcoat. If anybody can think of a reason not to please let me know, but they do look awesome! Just an FYI..................Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FYI, Final coat on my foam/graphite handles
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 07:47PM

the threadmaster will do fine. it will be more prone to scratches as it is not quite as hard as the urethane. the nice thing about the spar urethane is if it gets scratched you can spray another coat. i have several rods i have built in the past and used rod epoxy as a finish. i still fish them as i like the rods. they show their scratches and use. i just use it as a reminder to use other finishes. i will still fish the rods as i like them and they are for me.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 11:11PM

That lihgtg version drys pretty soft you might have to baby the rod or the finish will get damaged, the threadmaster heavy drys with a much harder surface.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 11:59PM

Try Diamondite!!! Extremely hard, tough and water clear.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 28, 2008 07:32AM

I am also using the Diamondite and I am liking the results so far. Scott

Date: April 28, 2008 01:13PM

I'll try the urethane over the threadmaster and compare it to TM alone, and also w/out TM at all. I'll check for scratch resistance and for looks. I haven't used Diamondite yet, but I'll give it a try too. Thanks..........Kyle

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 02:22PM

If you've read any of the post's below on Max Seal, this may also be a good alternative to spray spar. But I also like the Diamondite.

Bill in WV

Date: April 28, 2008 03:53PM

Do you use Diamondite instead of spray on urethane? Or with it?........Kyle

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2008 04:16PM

If weight is an issue, you'll want to stick with a thin urethane of some type. If not, then the other options mentioned may be worth a try for you.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 08:07PM

Another way to hit a home run - The foam core is an ideal platform for the flocking process.

Just Flock It!

1. Regular way by using adhesive and nylon flock in normal fashion by coating and spraying described in Rodmaker or in the High Point Seminar Workshop Publication

0r

2. Mix matching color of flock fiber in adhesive and paint on a coat or two! Recipe 2 tablespoons of fiber per 1/2 pt of adhesive. Textured - ideal for handling slicky fishys!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster