I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eye replacement fees?
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.99.newnanutilities.org)
Date: April 27, 2008 10:37AM

I am beginning to repair some rods for friends. I am not sure how much to charge for replacing mid rod guides? I don't want to charge too much but also don't want to short myself. There is also the concern that you could damage the rod removing the old guide, wrap and epoxy.
What do you charge for your services?
Does this vary with single vs double foot guides?
Do you add the price of the guide separate?
Do you charge more for 2 colors?

Thanks again for all your help.
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eye replacement fees?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 11:09AM

There is a recent Rodmaker that list the repair policy of many custom builders in all areas. Very good advice from different areas of the country.

My Policy In Writing Handed To All Who Seek Repairs - The same to all! If you do not have a policy you will be sucked dry very quickly by a large number of new friends!

Bass and Inshore Only - Blue Water & Surf Special Quote

If there are any doubts At All that I could damage the blank the job is not accepted unless the customer is advised prior to the repair and a waiver is signed - (Example: Rod Bond Attached Tip Tops on Blue Water Fiber Glass Blanks)

Double the retail cost of the instock guide + $ 8.50 My Schedule

Double the retail cost of the instock guide + $ 15 Expedited Schedule

Double the retail cost of non-stock special ordered guide + $ 10 My Schedule Only + Shipping Charges

Notice posted that all "Repaired Rods Will Be Sold For Cost of Repair Thirty Days After the Due Date if the Rod is Not Picked Up and All Charges Fully Paid.

I was totally surprised how many rods I would end up selling!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 11:42AM

$8 for standard guides, $10 for DF standard guides. Anything other than standard guides (SIC, Titanium, PVD, etc. I add retail price of the guide (I buy wholesale). Bill's right! Set a price and stick to it!! People talk and the first time someone finds out they paid a different price than your buddy, you're going to get bad mouthed.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 12:51PM

I know what Mike is talking about........A friend came by and needed a guide and I charged him a couple of bucks to fix it. The very next day he told all the guys at the local fishing coffee shop about it. A good customer came to me and said why did I charge him nine dollars and charge this other guy two. Was very upset. I did like Bill.......I posted my prices and stick to it......If my wife needs one she has to pay the posted price. I am glad she doesn't read this post.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2008 01:21PM

I'll toss this out as a starting point for you - it won't be too much by any reasonable person's measure, although it could be too little in today's market.

Charge $5 labor for wrapping a guide (single or double foot). Add $2 for an underwrap, and $1 each for trim or tag wraps. Charge the cost of the guide (your cost) times 1.5, this will be your materials charge.

In most cases this puts the average cost to replace a common guide on most freshwater rods, single wrap, one color, at about $7 to $8 total cost to the customer. If you intend to do this as a business, I really can't see doing it for any less. But that's something you'll have to kick around and consider for yourself.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 02:30PM

I get $12.00 period. If I don't know the person or they haven't been a customer, they pay in advance.

I charge the same to the tackle shops I service, and they pay me when I deliver the rod. They mark it up and collect when their customer comes in.

I will not sit with a repair for a year anymore. I had that happen with a customer that came in once and I repaired the rod, he came back with 6 more Muskie sticks and had me redo them complete, never saw him again,,,,,,,,,,,, sold the rods over a year later. Now it is cash up front or take it some place else. (for new customers)

Remember this: FRIENDS ARE FRIENDS AND BUSINESS IS BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.99.newnanutilities.org)
Date: April 27, 2008 05:04PM

Guys, This is exactly the information I was looking for. From what I see here on this board in pictures of finished products and the work my "teacher" showed me, I have a ways to go. However, I will always strive to do my best and, as a machinist by trade, that is better than most peoples expectations almost all the time.
Thanks again for helping me out,
Steve

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 11:27AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a recent Rodmaker that list the repair
> policy of many custom builders in all areas. Very
> good advice from different areas of the country.
>
> My Policy In Writing Handed To All Who Seek
> Repairs - The same to all! If you do not have a
> policy you will be sucked dry very quickly by a
> large number of new friends!
>
> Bass and Inshore Only - Blue Water & Surf Special
> Quote
>
> If there are any doubts At All that I could damage
> the blank the job is not accepted unless the
> customer is advised prior to the repair and a
> waiver is signed - (Example: Rod Bond Attached Tip
> Tops on Blue Water Fiber Glass Blanks)
>
> Double the retail cost of the instock guide + $
> 8.50 My Schedule
>
> Double the retail cost of the instock guide + $ 15
> Expedited Schedule
>
> Double the retail cost of non-stock special
> ordered guide + $ 10 My Schedule Only + Shipping
> Charges
>
> Notice posted that all "Repaired Rods Will Be Sold
> For Cost of Repair Thirty Days After the Due Date
> if the Rod is Not Picked Up and All Charges Fully
> Paid.
>
> I was totally surprised how many rods I would end
> up selling!

Bill, just wondering if doubling the price is standard regardless of the guide. What I am gettng at is a Fuji gold cermet guide that might retail at $50.00+, doubling the price and then adding labor on top of that would seem a bit much for a single guide , granted not many use such expensive guides.

Not questioning your pricing practice, just wondering.
Thanks,

Mark

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 01:43PM

How many of you charge a flat rate for rod construction?

I see a lot of builder websites that say something like a flat $70 for construction, but how don't know how they price the blanks, guides, etc? Retail price? Wholesale? Wholesale + markup %?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 02:54PM

Don't know about anyone else, but I charge a flat rate of $100 for my labor then charge retail price plus shipping for the components. Have had no problems so far. Granted I have only sold 2 rods, I normalyy use cast offs and rebuild / customize them and give them away to kids.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Swift (---.dhcp.atsc.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2008 10:12AM

Good formulas to use!
Just had a customer bring in 3 surf rods from the early 50's for guide replacement. They are in mint condition except for missing guides and rotten wraps, old wooden handles, aluminum reel seats not corroded, grainy brown fiberglass blanks. Each rod is 13 ft long (one piece...of course) with 8 spinning guides. Even at the &15.00 per guide formula, don't think this will be a money maker after I cut a hole in the shop wall to fit the blanks on my rod wrapper.
What is the difference between rod repair/giude replacement and rod restoration???? My answer.......a lot of money.

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster