I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Two Piece Frustration!!!!!
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 02:20PM

Mark,

The only thing I can suggest is try the test for yourself!! Having another party hand to you, while you are blindfolded, the same rod in a one piece and in a 2 piece, without telling you which is which. Then and only then, wil you have the FACTS you are looking for. No disrespect intended, just an observation.

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 02:53PM

Like I said, my use of the word facts was ONLY in pointing out that people have opinions and they rarely change them if they like them, facts or not!! I have never seen any "Fact" showing ANY difference between 1 and 2 pc rods. You prefer 1 pc, good! I use both although, personally, I see no difference in feel OR results (that could well be my own ineptness and not the equipment) I just give personal opinions and rarely have any facts, ask my wife!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 03:36PM

Toms' statements on the popping rods could be quite true - most will never be able to tell one iota of difference. What proof to I have of this fact? Happens almost ever day - feed four fishermen breakfast and listen to the table talk about the "sensitivity" of their high modulus rods with the blank exposed reel seats. Load em all up in the bay boat and take them to the spot where the "specks" live, anchor and sit back to enjoy the catchin! It will not be very long until I start yelling "Hey Bud Your Cork Is Under"! At that point the only thing "sensitive" is the one who got caught sleeping on the job!

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 04:13PM

Something to remember is that not all versions of the same model are designed to the same thing. A company may make a one and a two piece model that really do feel and act different but it is the difference in design between them and not the number of pieces that is to blame. Jason Brunner told me at the show in High Point last year that some of their multi piece models do not even have remotely the same action or power as the same model in a one piece because they were designed to do different things.

On the facts to opinion thing, we should not turn this into a Klepperfest where we start throwing off on someone because we do not like their way of stating things. If you do not like a post or a persons way of stating it, just move on and beyond that post and to the next. It is quicker to just skip a post and move on than to stop and make a comment on something you do not like or agree with. Good information, both facts and opinion have been shared here from everyone. Take what you can use and leave the rest.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 09:53PM

Well stated Richard!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 10:18PM

I agree with Tom about sensivity (1 piece,2-5 piece rods).

I fish 95% with jig using long rod 9'-16' rods .I build myself many spinning rods using fly rod and steelhead blanks 2-5 piece.Fishing an the bank i never saw anothers fishermans catching with jig more fish because of fishing with 1 piece rod.Usual i catch more fish with my longs rods and this is not possible if my rod is not so sensitive like 1 piece rod.
Many fishermans are asking me if my rod are "crappie" rod because they don't know that it is possible to fish with jig with rod so long.
95% i fish an the bank in salt water.

Jean Scurtu

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 03:05AM

Excellent point. I have both types of rods in the same series. I can't really tell the difference. What I well tell you is 1 pcs is a pain in the back side in some cases to transport. So a rule the 1pcs stays home and gathers dust, Butt what do I know? I am just a newbie of just 25 years of practicing to learn how to make the prefect rod. I have not reached that pinnacle yet
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 09:36AM

I'm with Steve in regards to Bass Rods. I can transport anything up to 8' in my rod locker, so no problem there. Also, the whole concept of two piece bass rod kind of flies in the face of us trying to minimize save weight etc. I get that I probably can't tell the difference, and even have multi piece travel rods. But, no matter how slight a ferrule must add some weight to the overall rod, if our goal ( for the type of rods Steve and I build) is to reduce weight why on earth would I use a two piece blank?

That being said I would love to find a few two or three piece blanks for Musky, Pike, etc. that I can use for trips to Canada,etc.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 09:39AM

The very old metal ferrules on the early two piece rods and the cheap tip into the butt glass ferrules were bad. Real bad. They created a stigma against two piece rods that still exists. I find that a lot of guys won't even try a modern two piece rod due to the bad taste left in their mouths from those very early ferrules. It's a stereotype that will take a lot of years to live down I'm afraid.

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 12:15PM

Well , don't have a formed opinion myself, but can relay this info. Lamiglas makes some of their plugging surf rod models available in one or two piece, and it seems the serious die-hard pluggers want to stay with their one-piece rods- despite the transportation issues- and I am talking about 9 to 11 foot rods- so transporting a rod of that length in the one piece variety is certainly a considerable obstacle for some.

Some of thses guys are builders themselves, and have been plugging up North (Montauk and such) for a good many years, and they have tried the two piece variations, but simply prefer the one piece. I haven't heard them mention "sensitivity" as an issue but "casting", "lure workability", and "fish fighting power" are mentioned by some as reasons they prefer the one piece rods. I respect them enough to give some credibility to their thoughts, and personally don't care whether I am asked to build one piece- or two piece rods.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 12:31PM

Ken, You are exactly right, in my opinion. The general fisherman used the junk 2 piece rods of years ago and formed an opinion that is still with them today. A lot of them will not try a modern day 2 piece rod because of that stigma. Also I have had customers say they are too easy to break, therefore would not have a 2 piece rod. I have had others that wouldn't have a one piece because they won't store as easy. So I build whatever the customer wants . Like Steve and Scott, I am a Bass fisherman and build mostly Bass rods. I had rather have a 1 piece rod, but I own both. My long 2 piece rods were built for Crappie fishing only and had to fit a rod locker. So the only fact involved here is "2 piece rods", the rest is opinion and necessity, of course thats just my opinion.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 08:54AM

I simply tell customers that based on modern ferrule design and construction there is no reason, including lost sensitivity, to not buy a multi-piece if travel and transport is a requirement and no reason to spend extra on a multipiece if it's not.

Interestingly, after they buy and fish a "general purpose travel" rod and discover the performance is up to their needs and how much easier they are to store (out of sight of prying spouse eyes) and travel with, even locally, they ask for more technique specific rods. Then I have to often tell them that the manufacturers do not make a multi-piece in the action | power they want.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 10:47PM

1pc vs 2 piece. Thank God we live in America where we are free to choose! :-)

Marc, I agree with you - two piece rods carry no extra burden except the perception of reduced performance. The best thing you can do is attempt to educate the angler as to the lack of difference. Ultimately, it's their decision. That being said - I'm also a HUGE believer in the psychological aspect of the equipment one is using. When I was building golf clubs, it was unreal - you can build two ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL clubs, but one has a chrome finished head, and the other has a matte finished head. Invariably, the golfer will find that one of the clubs will 'feel better', and he/she will hit that club with much better consistency. Why? Because they simply like the club better. I believe rods are the same way.

To the guy who keeps referring to panties: I believe you will find this to be the most professional, high grade message board on the internet - bar none. You will lend alot more credence to your posts if you don't resort to immature commentary like that. Seriously. It's unecessary and diminishes your credibility.

Oh yeah - Marc - drove by R&K's in Woodruff tonight and saw 'Now Carrying Elk River Custom Rods' on their sign - awesome man! I have to stop in there and see the goods :-)

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2008 08:21AM

Rich and all whom I've offended with my "panties" statement.

That statement was a "METAPHOR". I certainly didn't think ANYONE would take it out of context, otherwise...I'd use "hold your horses".

Metaphor's are not immature.

If anyone thinks I have any disrespect for this forum...please re-read my comments, specifically on my respect...

I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone!

Mark J. Mire

P.S. Rich, your comments are so correct and dead on! I believe when one holds a club/rod, that tools automatically receives energy from us, our brain/beliefs/attitude and acts accordingly. And thank God for that, otherwise the world would be black/white.

Thank you for your time

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2008 08:32AM

Mark,

If I had thought you were being profane, your post would have been removed. Don't worry about it,

Rich,

I think several of us mentioned the same thing you did - confidence in one's equipment really does matter, even if that confidence only lies in the mind of the person using the rod and not the equipment itself. Good builders do have to consider that they're sending their customer out the door with more than a fishing rod, they're sending out (hopefully) with a tool the fisherman has great confidence in. Excellent point.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 30, 2008 01:10PM

Mark No offence taken here.::)
Good Wraps Bob

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster