I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod rod epoxy
Posted by: Barton Barry (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 26, 2008 12:57PM

Is it just me or does this stuff kick off too quick. I am mixing 50/50 of A&B...I mixed 10cc of each first and spread it on aluminium foil like always, I only got through the first guide wrap before it started to kick off. I tried cutting the batch in half, 5cc of each, same results, one wrap done and that was it. I cut that in half and thinned it with MEK...This helped a bit but it still kicks off too fast for my liking, Could it be bad (old) ? I know some epoxies have a shelf life and after say 6 mos or so all bets are off as far as the results. I got it from a tackle shop that has probably had it on the shelf for a while...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod rod epoxy
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 04:10PM

Didn't even know that Gudebrod made any!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 04:51PM

i dont knwo anything about that brand never heard of it. If you want something that has a super long potlife try aftcote brand.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 26, 2008 06:11PM

Another target for the syringes -

[www.mudhole.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2008 06:12PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 03:41AM

Barry:
There is no such thing as an OLD epoxy. Epoxies simply do not age. You are merely experiencing what the epoxy was designed to do. Another case of a product not designed for the market it services. Another reason to stick with products that were designed for the rodmaker market.
Incidentally the new LS Supreme has a real long pot life -- nearly an hour at room temperatures.

Mike:
Gudebrod doesn't actually MAKE anything. They are merely a marketing organization. They buy a product, then resell it. Usually they know nothing about the technical aspects of the product. Trying to get some technical information from them, can be a real laughable task.

Ralph

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 10:23PM

From the mouth of the epoxy Guru himself. THE formulator for Trondak!!! Not trying to be funny at all. Ralph has my utmost respect and adoration. He knows his stuff, the space shuttle proves it!!!! I just wish I lived close enough to spend some time in his shop and get some one on one in the repair category, as that is where my real interest lies. Ralph, I sure wish you would put out a detailed DVD set on each repair. I'd buy them and cherish them as gold!!! I wish you many more awesome years, but you're no spring chicken and it would be a catastrophy (IMO) to lose all of your repair knowledge. Maybe even a book???????

Bill in WV

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2008 10:34PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 10:27PM

ralph, I shold have said "sold" instead of Made" I know that Gudebrod (as well as most of the companies, other than U-40) don't actually make any of their products but mostly repackage stuff.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Barton Barry (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 11:22PM

On the Gudebrod Epoxy bottle it actually says "distributed by Pacific Bay" or something to that effect...No matter, I just had small 4oz kit that I picked up because I needed it that day. Wont be using that crap ever again. Never had any issues with FlexCoat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster