I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kistler Rods
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 11:26PM

My local Sporting Goods Store is stocking Kistler rods. I noticed they are shortening the threaded end of the reel seat and using split grips. Other than leaving the burs on the cut end of the reel seat, they look fairly good for $129.00 for a casting rod. I have seen very few manufactured rods with split grips and this was my first look at one with a shortened reel seat. Looks like they may be slowly coming around.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kistler Rods
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 26, 2008 12:32AM

They're already there man, look harder. Split grips, no foregrip, trimmed seats have crept into manufacturer's offerings in increasing numbers for a while now.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 12:39AM

yup alot of bass rods are like this now. St. croix even is in on the action to now.

Posted by: robert smith (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2008 06:08AM

It's a funny thing how they refer to themselves as "Kistler Custom Rods". They are no more custom than an ordinary off the shelf ugly stick. Maybe better quality components but certainly not custom.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 26, 2008 08:33AM

If you are seeing Kistler's on a rack for that price they must be quite old. Their present offerings for the bass market are in the $ 279 - $ 329 range and sell quite well. I for one thank Kistler for raising the price of rods being marketed through retail stores. Sure has helped my business and it was a compliment that they decided to copy most features of present custom rods. Maybe next they will go spiral and raise the price to $ 500. At present there are a number of domestic production companies that are defining US rods as custom and Imports as production. We will see what we see in the near future.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 10:47AM

I also thought that was pretty cheap for a Kistler . They must be old stock and made offshore somewhere. This guy stocked Kistler ,Loomis and Falcon and a bunch of lower end brands. For craftsmanship and attention to detail I thought the Falcon looked the best. Of course since I started building my own I don't pay much attention to off the shelf rods anymore. I got them beat hands down anyway .

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.sip.pfn.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 26, 2008 12:19PM

The best rod kistler makes has and always sold for 129.00 it is there cheapest rod but there best rod all the other ones have serious breakage problems. I worked at a tackle store for a couple of years and saw a lot of broke kistler rods.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 06:00PM

Jay,

I use a number of Falcon rods that I will eventually rebuild or replace with some new rods. I can say that on the shelf they look good, but the craftsmanship may not be the greatest. If I didn't desire to have something different than what was offered on the shelf, I would have never got to learn all of the interesting nuances of rod building and the differences that are used to save time on factory rods.

I learned by splitting the rear grip and removing the fore grip on my Falcon spinning rod that the cork and reel seat were placed on from the rear and shimmed with strips of wood. On my newest casting rod, a few years newer than the rest (after being new and improved), the rear grip is no longer solid cork. It is cork tape over closed cell foam.

I'm not saying that I don't like them; they perform just fine for a shelf rod. In fact I really like the blanks, and if I find time to rebuild them will like them even better.

Joe

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.131.---)
Date: April 28, 2008 12:53PM

The $139 Kistler are the Graphite Series. I have a couple of the Helium LTAs but I wouldn't pay retail or close for one. They are light and sensitive though I have a friend who has broken one on a hookset. I don't like there silly lying marketing.

Anthony Robertson
AKRods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster