I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot tip top finish
Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 11:39PM

I have just completed wrapping a Loomis P902 Mahogany blank as a spiral wrap (my first!) and am using a single foot guide as a tip top. Do I coat the thread and guide foot with thread epoxy (i.e. LS Supreme) or is there a better material to use to secure this guide? My dad is taking it to Canada for the summer and I want to be sure it holds up to all the fish he catches.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Les

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot tip top finish
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 12:27AM

Yes, just finish as any other single foot is how I've always done them, Les. LS Supreme is just fine there.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 12:29AM

forhan wrap? and send my dad off with a spare real tiptop and a stick of tiptop glue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 12:29AM by Henry Engle.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 09:31AM

Yes, make sure you use the security wrap on a single foot tip top.

Article in the library or I have a tutorial I can send.

Terry

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 10:47AM

I just did 2 rods this week using 3mm Batson guides as tips. When I do a locking wrap on a tip I don’t do any blocking wraps, I go from the regular wraps to 2 or 3 locking wraps and end there. Any wraps after the locking wraps will just slide off the end of the blank, and you have so little room to work with that blocking wraps before the locking wraps just waste available space.

It requires more care in setting it up, but I like to install the guide with a drop of super glue. You can’t adjust the position after it is wrapped, but it makes wrapping the guide infinitely easier, and gives me a little more piece of mind.

I like Diamondite finish, and like it especially when using a guide for a tip because of its extreme strength. Make sure you get the finish to cover the end of the blank to keep water from getting inside the blank

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.linncounty.org)
Date: April 25, 2008 11:34AM

Mike and others -
superglue is fine but if you used the flexcoat guide adhering hotmelt glue (different than the tip-top sticks) you would have the ability once the guide is wrapped to still adjust the position of the new top... I use the stuff alot and it goes on every guide I put on. To move it you just give it a gentle push and it will release after its wrapped to rotate it around the blank. Works slick in my humble opinion. Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 01:51PM

Me, too, Chuck. I like that flexcoat guide adhesive a lot, now.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 08:55PM

Thank you all!

Your assurance and advice is always appreciated!

Les

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster