I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Guides
Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 09:22PM

Am building a 4 wt fly rod on a Sage Z-Axis 4 pc. blank. Was planning to use the Fuji Ti frame, SiC inserts, Concept single foot guides (TSLG's). But how does the weight of the Fuji guides compare to, for instance, Hopkins and Holloway single foot wire guides of comparable ring diameter? Are the REC Recoil guides be significantly lighter? I don't have a scale sensitive enough to compare them? Want to preserve the frequency response of the rod as much as possible. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Guides
Posted by: Dustin Grimes (---.bp.static.gci.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 09:51PM

The REC guides are the lightest, but not by much. I think you would gain from having the Fuji SiC guides. Even though they are a little heavier, I don' t think it's enough to damper the frequency response and that rod. They also have a little bit lower profile which will help preserve frequency. And, of course, you get that insert. I love the Fuji concept guide. If you do use them, start with the smallest size (5.0) on that rod. You won't be disappointed.

AK Custom Fly Rods

Lets Wet Some Lines !!

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 09:52PM

I'm a huge believer and user of the Fuji Ti framed guides on my fly rods. However, a 4 wt. would probably have me looking at the other guides you mentioned. I've used the Recoils on a few and they are very light. I would think the H&H guides would also be lighter and very nice. Either of those will probably give you the best performance out of the lighter rod.
Have Fun,
Todd

Posted by: Dustin Grimes (---.bp.static.gci.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 10:01PM

I do agree with Todd. The 4wt is in a gray area for me. A 5 wt, go with the Fuji. A 3 wt, go with the RECoil. But, a four weight you might have to test it and see how it feels. I built this same rod with the Fuji guides and the customer loves it. But, you will be fishing this rod. So, Test It!!

AK Custom Fly Rods

Lets Wet Some Lines !!

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: April 24, 2008 11:27PM

i like dustins idea of checking both

but, if you're just gonna get the guides and go, i'd go with teh fujis
I've got ceramics on my 4 wt and love it.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 12:01AM

If you are definitely going to use the Ti/SIC Fugi's on a 4wt I would keep them as small as possible.I would use a 5mm ring if a 4wt line and leader knot will fit through it,or 5.5mm max.Any larger and you will definitely notice the difference the weight makes.

I've put size 6 Ti/SIC Fugi Concept guides on 5wt and 6wt rods,and put REC Recoils on the same rods.There is no question in my mind which is the nicer feeling setup.The Recoils are considerably lighter in weight than the Fugi's and IMHO make the rod feel considerably lighter and crisper.Even though the fly line glides through the ceramics smoother and quieter than the wire guides,the rod still feels heavier in the hand and slower to recover with ceramics on it,and this is with arguably the lightest ceramics available.When comparing the weight of Recoils to say TiCh frame/zirconium ring guides,the difference in weight is like night and day.

I might try a 5wt with 5mm(or 5.5mm if the 5mm are too small) Ti/SIC Fugi's one of these days.I'm not sure if a typical 5wt line and nail knot combo will clear through these guides well enough or not,but if so I'm sure the finished rod would feel considerably nicer than the same setup with 6mm guides.That said,most of my 5wt rods and under will probably have Recoils from now on(although I also like using Snake Brand snakes and Pac Bay TiGold or TiCH plated snake guides on shorter,light weight rods meant for short range casting).

On 6wt rods and up,I think the differences in weight between the guide types becomes a little less noticable and the extra benefits of high end ceramic guides,like less guide wear and longer fly line life becomes more apperent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 12:04AM by Tony Dowson.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 12:34AM

Look at the American Tackle Titans. They make a 5mm guide that is lighter than the Fuji's, and from what I've heard the ring locks are even lighter (and cheaper). I'm currently in the process of puting the Titan's on an 8'4" that I intend to use with a 4 wt. line. Don't see why you'd hesitate using titanium frame ceramics on even some smaller rods. For Line to Leader connection on rods I use with 5mm guides, I always use Dave Whitlock's super glue/needle splice. After a few years of using this type of connection, I have yet to have one fail!

Torin.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 01:19AM

I recently put Titans on a Lamiglass 4wt travel rod for a good friend that's been fly fishing since before I was born. He comented on how light it was but he was skeptical about the guides; thought I may have ruined a perfectly good rod. He just came back from a fishing trip and was all "Oh, my God! This rod is Great!", "Best rod I've ever had!", "It casts Beautifully!". I'm personally not good enough with a fly rod to tell the difference but he certainly is.

Date: April 25, 2008 05:50AM

I'm not putting down the Am. Tac. Titan guides. But, I doubt that they're lighter than the Fuji's. Less expensive, yes. Better quality, no.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 05:47PM

Wayne,
I have to come down on the side of REC s/f recoils AND the recoil tip-top. Using the ceramics will rob the blank of life - especially that blank.
Herb

Date: April 26, 2008 06:34AM

I personally stick with the Fuji Ti tip top even with Recoil guides just because the Recoil tips look so chincy. I honestly don't trust them. Plus the tip is where I want everything to really flow and it's the place that takes the most pressure. So, I go with the ceramic, which may weigh a tad bit more, for the security and performance.

Date: April 26, 2008 08:59PM

Thanks so much for the advice, opinions etc.! I ordered a set of REC Recoil guides for the rod and think that I'll compare them on the rod (casting performance) to the Fuji's which I already have on hand. I'll let you know what I think.

Wayne

Date: April 26, 2008 08:59PM

Thanks so much for the advice, opinions etc.! I ordered a set of REC Recoil guides for the rod and think that I'll compare them on the rod (casting performance) to the Fuji's which I already have on hand. I'll let you know what I think.

Wayne

Date: April 26, 2008 11:45PM

Wayne,
The recoil tip-tops are not pretty - but they are oh so light. Winston used to put them on all their BIIX rods - my 10wt still has one. They had too many complaints that perspective buyers did not like the way they looked. Failure rate is very low. I have them on all my saltwater rods and have caught hundreds of fish on them - tarpon, stripers, jacks. If they can be used on med - heavy saltwater rods you will not have a prob with your Z Axis. Order one and try it - you will never look back. With that rod you should probably order the small ring.
To give you an example of the difference in feel - I sent my 9wt Winston BIIX back to Winston to correct a grip prob and they changed the tip top from the Recoil to a regular fly tip (not ceramic) with out telling me. When I got the rod back I thought they had switched rods on me until I noticted the new tip-top weeks later.

Try it.
Herb

Date: April 28, 2008 06:23PM

For my 4 wt. 9' rod I ordered 4 ea #1, 3 ea #2, 1 ea #3, 1 ea #4 and a REC #12 stripper plus the small REC tip top. Thanks for your advice and experience. Is the REC tip top ceramic?

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 28, 2008 10:25PM

No, it's wire like the rest of the Recoils. You may not need so many different sized guides on such a light rod. Single ceramic stripper, maybe the #3 and #4, then #2's or #1's all the way out to the tip.

Date: April 29, 2008 08:08AM

Wayne,
You may want to consider a ceramic for the large stripper. That will not increase the weight in a critical area and will give you a slightly "nicer" feel when stripping line. I only use the REC s/f as running guides. I have built some rods with all REC recoils, strippers and running. But lately I have been going bact to the ceramics for strippers ONLY. BTW,G Loomis uses all recoils on their GLX CrossCurrents. Steve Rajeff swears by them. They havn't taken the plunge on the tip-top however.
Another thing is that a recoils may give rise to a "whine" (singing) when you strip - but that will go away with a wet line.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster