I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

USPS Price Alert
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:23PM

As a postal employee, a heads up for all the vendors that use USPS services. New prices go in effect May12. Some rates will be less. For more info go to www.usps.com/price.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: USPS Price Alert
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: April 23, 2008 03:05PM

Didn't they just have new rates last month? Geez.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2008 03:34PM

It's actually been some months back since the last increase. Some prices went up a little, others went down a little. I suppose it will be the same this time.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 04:56PM

I understand they plan to adjust prices annually from now on. It's been almost a year since the last adjustment. One of my regular mailling methods doubled in price last year so I complained loudly and often. It is now cheaper to mail that particular package to Canada than it is to mail it anywhere in the USA. We'll see if complaining does any good when the new prices come out.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: April 23, 2008 05:12PM

The Flat Rate stuff increased much more recently, no? I know they just added a $13 flat rate box, which I use to ship Internationally for $50. Stamps just went up recently too, no?

I do know it is almost impossible to ship a 7'6 rod tube USPS, since they take the length + hieght + width + GIRTH. I can't even ship a 7' Bazooka tube with them without payin $128.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: April 23, 2008 05:40PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I do know it is almost impossible to ship a 7'6
> rod tube USPS, since they take the length + hieght
> + width + GIRTH. I can't even ship a 7' Bazooka
> tube with them without payin $128.

Which makes no sense at all considering that the hight and width comprise the girth.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 06:36PM

I've had more than one issue sending blanks by the postal service. I only ship them by UPS now . I compared prices with Fed Ex and they are both within a couple of dollars of each other, some going UPS's way and some going Fed Ex's way.

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.223.220.203.dial.dynamic.acc01-gord-pmq.comindico.com.au)
Date: April 23, 2008 06:43PM

i always bought alot of rod building ,and fishing gear from the states(i live in australia).but have reduced my purchases because the shipping prices have gone up so much. its terrible reduced buying LOL

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 07:02PM

I've been uising the USPS for some time now because things tend to get where they are supposed to without being damaged. I sent 2 rods in a 3" pvc tube around 6' 8" long with insurance and tracking for $22.65. They may have rates of increase but at least you know about them before you go to send something. The other guys can change all they want and not have it "advertised on the news or radio" like the USPS, they'll just sneak it in when they ring you up.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 11:24PM

And yet I have several examples of my own where the USPS has lost or damage my shipments. It seems they go out of their way to mess with long tubes. Thyey told one of mky customers that with the way we packed his rod, we were lucky it got there, much less that it had been busted and crushed along the way. Must be too much trouble for them, I guess.

UPS isn't much better lately on the long tubes. But I found a way to get the best for the least - I use a local shipper who compares rates across all possible shippers, and does my packing when I need it. I just drop the stuff off, get a quote to give to my customer (we NEVER charge handling, just actual shipping costs) and when I get the OK, they ship for me. And I've not had an incident since I started using them.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 08:47AM

I have begun using DHL lately. They have a drop off center in a local Office Max. I get strange looks when I stroll in with 7' of PVC, but I typically only pay between $15-20 to ship anywhere in the US. If you have a DHL it is worth checking out.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster