I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Syllabus
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 12:27PM

I have been invited to discuss teaching classes to the Boy Scouts at the nearby Ten Mile River Scout Camp this summer. We have even discussed the possibility of creating a Rod Building Merit Badge. The discussions are in the earliest stages. I wonder if anyone has developed a syllabus for teaching basic rod building. The time constraints on the campers is strict so the classes would likely have to be three sessions in a week for about 3 hours each.

Tom Kirkman's great book on the subject has provided a good basis from which to organize a schedule for the classes. It remains to be seen what tools will be made available but even with a rod kit and a cardboard box "rod lathe" I think the task is certainly doable.

Just wondering if anyone has worked out a more precise schedule for such a class.

David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Syllabus
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2008 12:59PM

You should talk to Jim Upton. After presenting such classes for the Rod Expo he's gotten pretty good and has managed to reduce things to the necessities. Much of this has to be learned as you go - with each new class you'll find things that can be reduced or omitted and other things that need to be expanded. By the time you've taught several, you'll feel confident that you're doing all you can do within whatever time constraints you're up against.

I'll toss out one other thing - the Flex Coat DVD on "How We Do It" and the book "Basic Rod Building" could both be used as lesson planners.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.209.---)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:38PM

Great idea. Get'em hooked on fishing, etc. and they won't get hooked on many worse things. Good job and good luck!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 02:55PM

Wish it would have been available when I was in the scouts!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2008 03:43PM

David,
your email is hidden. If you email me I'll give you a brief description of how we conduct our classes like this. Basically the same parameters. Three days 2 1/2 hours each day.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 06:52PM

Chris Davis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great idea. Get'em hooked on fishing, etc. and
> they won't get hooked on many worse things. Good
> job and good luck!

Yep! Sort of like, "Teach your kid to hunt... and you won't have to hunt your kid."

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 07:14PM

Your email is hidden. call Karry Batson at RainShadow/Forecast . They have a school program that is excellent.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 23, 2008 07:20PM

You know, come to think of it, so does Roger Seiders, I think. He teaches rod building in his local high schools, or used to. I'm sure he would be happy to help as well.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 23, 2008 07:47PM

I remember way back that rod building used to be part of the requirements of the Fisherman badge in Scouts.

Posted by: alan hutchison (---.netwurx.net)
Date: April 23, 2008 09:15PM

Send me an email and we can discuss how I do it with Big Brothers Big Sisters
my email is hutcha@idcnet.com

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 01:12PM

David,
I have been interested in getting young people involved in rod building since I started building rods several years ago. It sounds like you have some great resources from the above posts so I won't be of much help with the syllabus. What I might be able to help you with is that I have over 100 spools of old, but I think usable, silk winding thread that I would be happy to donate to your classes if you think you might be able to use it. E-mail me if you are interested.
Thanks,
Lynn

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 01:50PM

Thanks to all who have offered help. Sorry about the hidden email as I just got a new address. It is now viewable.
river1444@verizon.net

I have contacted or will all who have invited me to do so. Thanks.

PS... I also spoke with the local 4H organization and they are very interested. I encourage others to do the same if you feel so led. Nothing is better for our great craft than the interest of the future generation.

David

Date: April 24, 2008 01:53PM

May I suggest? when you first start out with young kides. Make it simple. nothing complicated. Once you have their attion and the want to pursue the ctaft. Then go to trimbands simple thread art and then in ro weaves, Do this in progressive step. Think about the first rod you built a rod. How many times did you have to rewrap your guides. I have been wrapping rods for over 30 years. Well last year I had 6 eye operations. So I curtailed my rod wrpping tell a couple pf months ago. Well I decided to do a flame wrap. Well it took it took almost a spool of thread, plus a lot of choice words before I got it right. Just my 2 cents
Good Wraps Bob.

Date: April 24, 2008 02:07PM

I'll toss something else into the mix - CUI offers what they call "put ups" which are blanks that already have the grips and seat mounted, plus a tiptop. All the user has to do is wind and finish the guide wraps. Depending on the skill level involved, age of the participants, time you have to work with, this offers another alternative to help them get their feet wet.

Date: April 24, 2008 03:33PM

Excellent point Tom. It well be frustrating enough for young kids. They well wont to wrap, not glue grips and reelseats on then have to wait tell the glue dries.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 10:52PM

Tom,
It seems that it will take comprehensive planning to make three sessions into a truly effective course. Either with pre fitted parts or "Put Ups" and all the rod stations and clamps ... and the guides... it will take a lot of pre-course work to make for a good course. Then there is the budgeting for such a course. I'll know more after I actually sit with them and show my plans. I'll start by building some work stations.

David

Date: April 25, 2008 01:11AM

David How many kids do you plan on Having? It well take more than three sessions, before they well comprehend. how to do everything. I still recommend checking with Batson and see how they present their school program. You don’t want them messing up, it could be costly and disappointing to fist timers
Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 25, 2008 09:25AM

Having good wrapping jigs will go a long way towards getting folks into the enjoyment of this. When I was teaching classes I made up a half dozen nice wooden wrapping jigs. If I were doing it today, I'd probably buy something similar to what Gudebrod was offering recently and just use those. Anything that makes the wrapping portion easier, or anything you can do to ensure that parts already fit closely, will speed up the process and reduce the frustration level.

From what I understand, a nationwide series of custom rod building classes is preparing to begin late this year or early next year. It will interesting to see how it's receive across the U.S. Much can probably be learned from how these classes will be done.

Date: April 25, 2008 02:59PM

The Batson company. Has introduced rod building in a couple of school close to where I live. The students I believe are part of the Forestry or FFA. Class these kids or young people were written up in our local news paper. What this class also showed to the youngsters our responsibility to our habitat resources.
Good Wraps Bob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster