I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

water break free-vs-matte finish
Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 11:17AM

I recently purchased some blanks that had a matte finish. I was preparing the handle area to be water break free with a scottchbrite pad and noticed it gave the blank an awesome sheen and looked much better than the original matte finish. I decided to scotchbrite the entire blank and it really looked great (just like the Lamiglas XMG50 finish, if anyone is familiar).

What I didnt think about was that I was creating an entire blank as water break free and now when I am fishing any substance that touches the blank soaks in, like scents, water, fish slime. Is there a way to continue to scottchbrite the blank to give it the awesome sheen, but restore it original non-water breakfree surface? How do manufacturers prepare a matte finish after its been sanded?

Thanks,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: water break free-vs-matte finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2008 11:19AM

Those matte finishes are just that - finishes. You'd have to go back and coat the blank with something - a satin or low gloss coating for instance.

Date: April 22, 2008 02:15PM

Thanks Tom. Any suggestions on a product used to accomplish this?? Do you have any experience doing this? If so what type of work is required, meaning is it brushed on, sprayed on, dipped in, rubbed on???........Easy/hard to do. Any baking required???

You also have e-mail...

Thank you.

-Mike

Date: April 22, 2008 02:47PM

I'm afraid you're going to end up right back where you started, that's the only problem.

You might consider taking what you have now and just buffing it with a paste wax. It'll put a little sheen on the rod but it won't be like it was before you fully scuffed the finish and you won't have a water break free surface, for awhile anyway.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 02:47PM

Michael I night be corrected here.
But I do not believe any this is soaking into the rods blank, merely sticking to it better then if you had left the finish on.
I many times remove the finish off of blanks and if soaking in was a problem? What I use would most likely destroy the blanks.

Before you go through the trouble of recoating it you may want to just try a quality car wax or polish, it will help to slicken things back up and may put a stop to your concerns

Date: April 22, 2008 03:12PM

Thanks guys. I didnt really think anything was soaking into the graphite fibers, just trying to explain that it was saturating rather than beading up (just like a breakfree surface should do).

I dont think it will cause any problems, but it looks like a dirty rod all day when fishing with spots all over it. And after spending so much time making these beautiful rods, that drives me crazy ...

I'll try some wax and see what happens, I have a blank I can test it on. I am assuming I should'nt put this wax on before epoxing the guides and logo onto the rod???

-Mike

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 05:02PM

couple of coats of car wax.... Also you might want to look at futura floor restorer or whatever its called that is a acrylic coating of some type most likley more durable than wax.

Date: April 22, 2008 06:05PM

Wait until after you wrap and finish the rod. Even then, I'm not sure you're going to like how it looks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster