I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Varnish or Epoxy on Bamboo?
Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.systems.cogeco.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 01:11PM

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of finishing my first Bamboo rod. I know that using multiple coats of Varnish on the wraps is "the norm", but I am curious what you Bamboo guys think of using Glass Coat on the wraps instead? Is there an obvious difference in appearance or durability, or is it simply a tradition issue?

How does Glass Coat look over Silk wraps?

The blank has been varnished with a Tung based varnish, and therefore will not be dipped, only the wraps remain to be finished.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Varnish or Epoxy on Bamboo?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 01:27PM

Depending upon your technique, you can apply most any epoxy in such a way that no one could possibly tell that it's not varnish. But, if you just dump it on and create a high-build situation, most people will find it a turn-off on such a rod. Many find it a turn off on wraps on graphite rods as well.

Epoxy will generally be more durable over the long haul than varnish, but the urethanes go on more like varnish and offer many of the qualities of epoxy. I'd take a hard look at something like PermaGloss or you could even take a stab at using Varithane. Both give good performance with a traditional look.

Posted by: John Lasky (---.com)
Date: October 16, 2002 03:42PM

Hi Mark,

As tom says anything can work but, If your looking for a classic look would stick with a spar varnish or a no mix urathane.

I have had very good luck with Varathane 900.

Not only is V900 a good finish for wraps it also works well as a cp.I normaly use 5-7 coats on lighter rods wraps.

With V900 silk and nylon wraps only loose a bit of color and the wraps go SEMI clear rather than clear and dark as is the case when using epoxy or pemagloss.

Somthing else to ponder is most folks like the amber tone of wraps as a bamboo rod ages , permagloss will stay clear for years. the Varathane will yellow a bit.

V900 can be hard to find but Russ Gooding at Golden Witch (a sponser ) has 1/2 pints in stock,

make sure to get a can of ox block to preserve the can in between uses .

happy wraps "John"

Posted by: Phil Langford (166.82.124.---)
Date: October 16, 2002 04:34PM

I have used Birchwood @#$%& Gunstock Oil, gently wiped on, for years as my primary bamboo rod varnish. I also use it on silk thread wraps with and without color preserver depending on the look the client wants. For rods that are being restored for stream use, I much prefer to use Permagloss on the wraps for long term durability and the look of varnished wraps. John makes to very good points: Permagloss doesn't yellow with age, and Russ Gooding is a great resource.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.nas2.monroe2.la.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 05:34PM

Mark,

I guess I'll play the contratian role here. If you're going to use epoxy finish on silk wraps on a fine bamboo rod, you might as well go all the way and use single foot ceramic guides and a plastic reel seat as well. In my mind, fine bamboo deserves the extra time and attention required by a fine spar varnish. I know that makes me a traditionalist, but that's a role I'm plenty comfortable playing.

Harry Boyd
[www.canerods.com]

Date: October 16, 2002 05:35PM

Mark,

I guess I'll play the contratian role here. If you're going to use epoxy finish on silk wraps on a fine bamboo rod, you might as well go all the way and use single foot ceramic guides and a plastic reel seat as well. In my mind, fine bamboo deserves the extra time and attention required by a fine spar varnish. I know that makes me a traditionalist, but that's a role I'm plenty comfortable playing.

Harry Boyd
[www.canerods.com]

Date: October 16, 2002 05:36PM

Well,

I accidentally posted twice, and mis-spelled the same word in both posts. Should read "contrarion" in the first sentence of both posts above.

Harry

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.systems.cogeco.net)
Date: October 17, 2002 09:26AM

Well Harry,

You said it... technology aside, tradition wins out and I can not disagree with you.

I will go the route of Varathane or Spar varnish.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Best Fishes,
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster