I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ul buttguide placement
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2008 09:37PM

Good evening gents,
I have yet another question for you all. I have been looking at many of the factory ul's that I have here at the house and got to thinking... I know, I know it can lead to disasterous results at times... ie 2 piece 4'6" ul from a one piece blank equals BIG pop and broken rod!! LOL I noticed that most of the butt guides are placed at about 15" from the face of the reel as it sits on the rod from the factory. I have built on similar blanks and from what I can find most suggestions are from 18-22 inches... My personal rods are at about 16.75 or so inches. The blank that I am playing with is the 2s46ulm.. Am I setting them up short? I typically set them up with a BYAG20

thanks for the help and have a good one gents

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ul buttguide placement
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 22, 2008 01:06AM

Those super short UL's are usually used with really tiny spin reels (like Shakespeare/Pflueger 25's), and aren't doing a lot of distance casting, hence they can get away with closer locations.
Now, even a short UL built on a 1 piece section can be just as strong, provided the ferrule is fitted well and flexes with the blank. Don't be afraid to use a slightly thicker walled fibreglass sleeve, and if the weight is an issue, build it as a staggered 2 piece, with the ferrule right in front of the handle.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2008 09:13AM

That's a really good tip that Ted just gave you - you don't have to put the ferrule in the exact middle of the rod. In fact, they're easier to build affect the rod balance less if you put them closer to the butt than the tip. On such a short rod, you might get away with Ted's advice and put one right in front of the handle, or even within the handle itself.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 22, 2008 10:56AM

thanks Ted and Tom. I will certainly try that the next time I get a wild hair to make a pack rod out of a small UL.. I built it as a test as I had a request to build a small pack rod for fishing the Sierra's while I lived out in Cali. I ended up going with a travel blank that I dropped sections from and it worked out quite well.

thanks and I will definately file the placement of the ferrules in the ole memory banks for future reference.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster