I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon fiber sleeves and west 207
Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: April 21, 2008 08:32PM

For those of you that are using this product, I contacted Solar today to ask about coverage of the West product. They told me that one quart of product of 207 will cover 200 to 250 linear feet of 1 in carbon sleeves. You should be able to figure out your cost of making these if you can figure out the cost of making 1 foot of foam cores.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon fiber sleeves and west 207
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2008 08:46AM

Thanks. A 1 foot foam core a couple inches in diameter would only be pennies. Well, nickels, maybe.

All told, these are not only among the best grips you'd ever make, but also among the least expensive. The thing is that you have to stock up on some supplies before you start, so there is an initial investment that has to be made.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2008 08:59AM

Tom,
I am finally starting to see the cost savings. I would say I wasted most of my first batch of supplies messing with it and getting comfortable with a technique that I can reproduce the results I want. I will say one thing though...just because it costs less I wouldnt charge less. There are definately a few more steps involved in this than turning cork, and I think more room for things to go wrong.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2008 09:17AM

I'd agree completely - if the grip is better or offers your customers something better or more than they are getting on other rods, there is no reason to charge them less. And... we do have to consider our time in making these. Good point.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 09:53AM

You are right about Jon Soller being very helpful. I am doing my first grips, what I was trying to do is a split grip with 2 small cores and a single sleeve. I used the 1.1 inch shrink tubing I was just barely able to slide it over the cores, it ended up that the tubing wouldn’t shrink down enough in the middle section to compress the sleeve that was directly on the blank. The areas of the foam cores looked fabulous, but the areas in between not so great. I emailed Soller about higher shrink ratio tubing and got into a dialog with Jon. He said that they sell the shrink tubing at near cost, since they are interested in selling composites not heat shrink tubing, 3:1 shrink ratio tubing would be much more expensive. For what I am trying to do he said that I could buy 3:1 shrink rate tubing and apply the release agent myself, I just have to make sure that I get complete coverage or it could end up a disaster. Laminating directly on the blank leaves little room for mistakes.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 02:53PM

Mike;
I have done what you are attempting to do, and it can get quite complicated. You may want to do some other handles first so that you get a little more comfortable working with the stuff then come back to your original design attempt, after you have a bit more experience

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster