I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hoe to measure underbind on single foot guide
Posted by: michael bonanno (---.222.220.203.dial.dynamic.acc01-gord-pmq.comindico.com.au)
Date: April 20, 2008 05:27PM

hi, just wondering how you guys measure the underbing on a single foot guide.
is it the same as measuring 2 foot guides.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hoe to measure underbind on single foot guide
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 20, 2008 06:38PM

Just curious. Why are you putting an underwrap on a single foot guide? What kind of rod is it?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.222.220.203.dial.dynamic.acc01-gord-pmq.comindico.com.au)
Date: April 20, 2008 06:43PM

sorry about the lack of description.
the rod is a 2kg spinning rod,bream bass whiting etc

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: April 20, 2008 06:58PM

I wouldn't put an underwrap on a blank that light, I'd go with the lightest guides and wraps I could make.

Date: April 20, 2008 07:15PM

i thought even the sigle foot guides could demage the blank aswell.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.147.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 08:05PM

Not necessary to use underwraps at all. If you do a good job of prepping the guides, there is nothing to damage the blank. Plus, thread really won't prevent the damage in any case. I've built hundreds of panfish and bass rods, and have yet to use the first underwrap. Never had a problem.
Steve Broadwell

Date: April 20, 2008 08:15PM

well in that case how do you calulate the length of the overbinding for each guide?

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 08:29PM

foot length plus what you think looks right! ( i use 3-4 turns)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 20, 2008 09:23PM

The biggest rods I build are muskie and some steelhead/salmon rods and I've never used an underwrap. IMO, it just adds unneeded weight in FW rods

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 10:18PM

I agree with the 4 wraps befiore the foot. Also take a look at the photo page and looka at the guide wraps
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.156.---)
Date: April 20, 2008 10:24PM

I’ve never used underbidding on any fly, spin, of beach rod, the cause of blank damage is too much thread tension rather than the guide feet admittedly something like a game or jig stick might be a different story.

Date: April 20, 2008 11:49PM

Michael I just figured it out you are an Auzzie. Where do you hang your rod? I have relatives in WA Perth. Do you use a Alvey reel also are you Surf fishing?. Most of us here believe your thread size is too big. I think you would be better off using, A for your underwrap an B or C for the guide wraps Bob

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.223.220.203.dial.dynamic.acc01-gord-pmq.comindico.com.au)
Date: April 21, 2008 01:24AM

hi Bob,
i hang my rod near coffsharbour N.S.W . I honestly have never used an alvey, but i do own one.as for surf fishn i do some times, but not with this new rod i'm wrapin.
actually i do use A for the underbinds and C for the overbinds.
i'm wrapin a samurai soo1x 2kg spin stick at the moment. thats why i'm trying to find out if i need underbinds on sigle feet guides or not.
i've been wrapin rods for years but honestly have never done one as light or with sigle foot guides before .
or even with cork grips, i'v always used EVA or hypalon. terrible isn't it.

Date: April 21, 2008 02:39AM

Michael what weight line well you be using? I get lost in metric systems. It sounds like a small weight rod. If that is correct you do not need a under wrap. I would do my over wrap with A thread. Just make sure you prepare your guides correctly, leave no sharp edges or burrs.
Good Wraps Bob PS Your email is hidden or I would have emailed you

Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.156.---)
Date: April 21, 2008 06:28PM

Bob, if your talking surf rods traditionally the ozi surf rods have been unsanded and C thread goes on a bit better. Most of my surf rods are fifteen to twenty years old, unsanded fibreglass and C thread, what can I say they last.

Date: April 21, 2008 07:48PM

You put a good finish on them. An C thread would work great
Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 21, 2008 07:59PM

charles right, my surf rods are about 12 years old ,they just keep on going.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster