I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap favorite colors
Posted by: Ron Petley (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 10:50AM

I am going to try my first tiger wrap on a split grip spin rod.
I have not picked any colors yet, could you please post your favorite color combos for this wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap favorite colors
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 11:54AM

Bottom:

Nylon Gudebrod Black A + NCP A Gudebrod White or JMetallic Silver
Loose + Ramdom Movement
Two Coats Finish

Black Nylon A + A Pull Out

Wish the picture was better but you will soon learn the Kman's pics of the Colby Trimar patterns are very difficult to take of the Throop Holo.

Click on the picture when it opens for a better view!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Go For It!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 02:53PM

Bottom:
-nylon black
-gold metallic

Top:
-nylon black
-sacrificial

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 05:16PM

My two cents...
I get better (more consistent) results if all threads are the same size, I use mostly size A.
Metallics work great on the base but not so well on the top layer.
Base colors should have high contrast between each other.
Top color will set the overall tone and the base colors will show through as the "moving" highlights.
If the top is a dark color then the lighter base color will dominate in the highlights.
If the top is a light color then the darker base color will dominate in the highlights.
I think darker colors on top look much better than light colors on top.
Leaving the base tightly packed and straight will result in a simple straight highlight that is consistent along the wrap.
Packing/burnishing the base so that it has waves in it will turn the simple highlight into loops and twists.
I think the top looks much better if packed neatly and straight, no waves.
For greatest contrast between top and base (highlights) I prefer black on top with black and a light metallic on the bottom.
Example: with a base of nylon black and MTgold, and nylon black on top, you get an overall black with gold shimmering highlights.

My favorite so far though was a dark brown on top and metallic gold and metallic copper on the base. Not a lot of contrast but it resulted in a subtle pattern that worked well with the Tiger Eye blank I wrapped it on.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 20, 2008 07:19PM

I have done 2 tiger wraps using the following combinations:

Gudebrod NCP HT Silver & HT Royal Blue with HT Royal Blue on top. All size A.

Second one Gudebrod NCP HT Gold & HT Mettalic Green with HT Metallic Green on top. Again all size A.

Both turned out great especially in sun when it brought out the mettalics in the thread.

One caution when you are packing & moving the first layer try to be careful with your pressure since the metallic thread has a coating that can come off. If that happens I do not try to trim off until I put the first layer of epoxy. Once dried I then carefully with a single edge razor blade trim the threads &/or coating that is sitting up. I then put either 1 or 2 more layers of expoxy before I put on the top layer.

Both my wraps are in my photo gallery.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 03:35PM

Where can I find how to do one of these? I looked in the library and in the excel file, but I don't know the "official" name and there are WAY too many posts when you do a search in the forums. Thanks.

**Issue found... Thanks to Bill Stevens for the help!**

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2008 10:53AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster