I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swimbait blanks
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 08:44PM

Has anyone found a swimbait blank for 1 - 6oz baits 7'6" - 8' 0" that seems to be balanced very well. And also feels light for what it is? I dont think anything exsists but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Thanks all..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swimbait blanks
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 09:17PM

St Croix has TWO that you should consider ... 4C79HF and 4C80XHF. The lighter of the two is only 3.2 oz and the other is at 4.4 oz. Both are designed using the best technology - ART and IPC. Balance is completely up to your design elements.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 01:56AM

The big Bait Special Lamiglas is supposed to be able to throw 1 to 6 oz, but a buddy has one and he says it's all done around the 3 1/2 oz range. He's now looking at a Rogue 8 ft even heavier rated rod that's supposed to throw 2 to 10 oz. The blank is the SB 808, looks like the BB 808 is the same blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 08:35AM

This is really a perplexing situation at present. Most of us who are attempting to find that blank that will satisfy all who want something "really special" are still on the hunt! The magical zero weight blank perfectly balanced rod that will throw a $100 10 oz swim bait 200 yards and set the hook on a 10 lb bass with a hook that is imbedded in neoprene hard rubber has evaded me to this point in time. Presently using six blanks and a cut off saw and on the search. In this game even whacking the tip end is not out of the question!

Take a look at this thread from a few days ago to get a little more information.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2008 09:58AM

Jim - those blanks are awesom, I have fooled with the factory versions of rods. The 7' 9" is only rated 1-4 oz and 8' 0 is 20 - 50 it felt to stiff. They are definately the top contenders. If the price were lower this would be a no brainer they need to make these blanks in the SC III variety perhaps to get the price down some.

Spencer - I have built a few on the swimbait special blank XC967 by Lamiglas they can throw a 6 Oz bait OK. Problem is the blank is heavy, lamiglass claims 4 OZ on their website i weight it at 5.8 OZ. The rouge's look interesting.

Bill - Thanks for the info. I think the magic number is in the 4 - 5 OZ range to be light enough that it doesnt wear the angler out. I still dont believe its possible with todays bank materials.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 10:31AM

I do not believe there will be only one end it all blank for swim bait rods - to big of a lure weight span to get proper loading to throw - moderate action and long range hook set confuse things - balance of long rods using extra long grips sections and total weight for all day use is tough . This technique really highlights the value of a knowledgable custom builder with a good supply of various blanks and components and a fisherman that can communicate exactly what he wants. In this case for a custom rod it really takes two to tango! The materials will probably be a multi modulus or blend with thin wall butt construction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster