I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fossil Ivory
Posted by: Mark Morris (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 11:17AM

I'm looking for a source for fossil ivory and is there a specific type that people are using in their grips? Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fossil Ivory
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 11:33AM

Mark,
I don't know where you live, but the natives in Alaska when I was stationed up there would find it in the peet moss on the shoreline. If you're a US citizen you would have to have it built into something by a native american before you can purchase it. Raw materials from animal parts such a polar bear, walrus, etc. are not allowed under our laws.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2008 05:33PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 11:40AM

Get with Terry Henson ... he IS the ivory guy and VERY careful as to laws/regulations. Search for his posts here and use the link to his e-mail address.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 12:42PM

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 01:51PM

John B. your quick response to provide access links to contraband is quite astounding! Do you as a resident of Florida also have local links to the nearby cash crop products of Jamaica? Some of them would make my rodbuilding efforts quite painless! }>

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 02:23PM

Hey Bill your right, to heck with the ivory give me the Jamaican Gold - Ok mannnn

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 03:14PM

Bill how dare you as a former officer of the law I resemble that remark
John

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 04:33PM

A couple years ago I got some walrus ivory from Les Freiborg. I used it for a couple fly rod seat and they were outstanding. You might try him at insertbyles.com. Later, E...

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 05:12PM

Wart hog ivory is available and can be used but the diameter is limited to roughly 24mms. I use it occasionally for tips on wood grips. Do a search on it and you should find some if it will work for you.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.135.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 09:30AM

I get mine here

[www.boonetrading.com]

Great people.

Posted by: Mark Morris (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: April 21, 2008 09:33AM

Thank you all for the input I sincerely appreciate it! Sorry for the delayed follow up I've been out of town at my daughters soccer tournament and didn't take muy compuiter!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster