I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

foot pedal board
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: April 18, 2008 04:58PM

In the most recent RODMAKER mag, reference was made to the mobile wrapping station made Tom K.
Specifically, the foot pedal board. Will this be explained in a future issue? Has anybody else rigged one? I saw one at a tackle shop here in SoCal, but I didn't investigate the details. A basic spring loaded board pushing on the pedal? Tired of kicking my pedal around.
Steve-o

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: foot pedal board
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 06:03PM

Steve,
Details are in Vol 10, Issue 5
I will start to build one next week. Good luck

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2008 06:30PM

Once you build one you won't look back. The issue gives you a lot of details plus ideas for several types of rigging along with the one I made for use on the Mobile Rod Building Workstation. It works like a charm - ask anyone who tried it at the Rod Expo this past February.

You want something that offers some measure of adjustment for resolution and response, and you want a positive feel - a board that flexes or requires more effort at one than the other isn't going to afford you an easy learning curve. Response should be the same regardless of whether you're pushing in the middle of the board or from the far end.

There's too much to go into in a forum post here. The magazine issue would be well worth your trouble. There is also a photo on the photo board of another type that someone just posted. Ask him how much he likes his. It's a very worthwhile project.

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 06:39PM

Just finished mine,easier than it looks. if you need more photos give me a shout (e-Mail)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

junkmansj@yahoo.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 06:42PM by Thomas,Barry.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: April 18, 2008 07:44PM

Thanks guys,
Being new, I need a few past issues that I have seen others refer to. Ex. the Stand up rod (tuna stick), the simple spiral, etc. If any body wants to suggest issues relevant to some one in SoCal fishing mostly offshore, please do. Oh ya, the surf rod issue too
steve-o

Posted by: mike arnold (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:31PM

I just put a pic on the tools and equipment pics see what you guys think and if you think this will work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 10:41PM by mike arnold.

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:57PM

mike; looks like it will work fine,how do you build in the reostat?

Posted by: mike arnold (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 11:00PM

Componants from regular pedel remade to fit .This was just my rough draft of the start of a lot of headaches but it is coming together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 11:04PM by mike arnold.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 10:57AM

The foot pedal board works well and is easy to do. If you want to avoid any flex in the foot pedal board, make it from an aluminum channel. With the edges of the flex, the foot board won't flex.

The idea of the foot board is that as you move along the rod, you simply pick up the foot board where ever you are located at on the rod.

------
I have a different setup for my power wrapper.
Rather than moving along the rod - as would be the case using the foot board, I have my power wrapper on rollers so that I move the rod past me - while I stay in one position.

I figure that it is easier to move the rod, than myself with my lights, supplies etc. in front of me.

I use a 3 piece bench - each one of which is about 3 feet long. I have rollers at each end of the benches.
I simply roll the rod down to start at the butt wrap - then as each wrap finishes, I simply give the power wrapper a shove, and the rod and wrapper rolls down the line. I wrap the next guide etc. When I get to the tip - I finish off - roll the rod back to the beginning, unclipping the rod from the rollers, take off and align the guides. I do this all - while staying in the same location, with my foot on the foot pedal in the same place and all of my tools, and lights staying in the same location.

--
For the rollers, I simply used board rollers that are normally used on the ends of power saws to help contractors work with large lengths of wood on power saws. I picked up each adjustable height, and foldable roller from Home depot for less than $20 each.
It is simple, inexpensive and it works.

The only caviat with this system is that your working area needs to be nearly twice as long as your power wrapper. i.e, if you start at one end - you need all of the length of the power wrapper to one side of you. Then, at the other end of the rod, you need the lenght of the power wrapper to be on the other side of you. If you have a wrapping room that is only a bit longer than your power wrapper, this roller system won't work.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2008 03:22PM

If you have the room, that's probably the most efficient way to handle things. Nice tip.

Date: April 20, 2008 12:50PM

Which rheostat is being used? None of them look like the original on my PacBay Wrapper.
Thanks

Posted by: Jason Dysarczyk (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 22, 2008 08:38PM

Where can one subscribe to this magazine?

Date: April 22, 2008 08:50PM

Look at the sponsor list to the left. RodMaker Magazine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster