I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help Understanding Micro Guides..........
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 01:54AM

I am new to rodbuilding and see alot of talk on the boards regarding "micro guides". Just wanted to post some questions to help me understand some things about "micro guides".

What is the basic concepts and reasoning behind using "micro guides"?

Does it really make that much of a difference especially on rods such as Freshwater Bass rods?

What are the general rules/guidelines of picking out and laying out the correct amount and size of guides on a rod?

What is a prime example of size of guides with the "micro guides" concept for a rod?

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help Understanding Micro Guides..........
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2008 09:35AM

Generally speaking, "micro guides" are any guides that are substantially smaller than what has come to be the norm for use on respective rod types. On most bass casting rods, the normal running guide size has typically been a #8 ring. In more recent years, many have appeared with #6's. Many years ago Berkley introduced their Series One rods with small single foot running guides that at the time, created quite a stir. I'm not sure what size they were, probably 6's which would have been consider a "micro guide" in those days (1980's).

Now we'd be talking about guides in sizes such as #3, 2 and even 1.5 rings. Why use such a small guide? Any time you use a guide that is larger than necessary, you're hanging unecessary weight on the blank that now has to be started and stopped each time you (or the fish) moves the rod. The more mass you have in that outfit, the more energy you'll have to impart in order to start it and the more energy will be required (or wasted) in getting it to stop.

You can indeed save enough weight in guide size reduction to make a difference that can be felt by the human hand. No doubt about it.

The thing I've always said is that you should use the smallest guides that will still perform the required task. You have to be able to pass your line and various connections/knots. You don't want water easily freezing in the rings if you fish often in very cold, sub freezing temperatures. Everything has to be considered before you can decide if putting #2 guides on your next rod is the right thing to do for your particular type of fishing.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2008 10:16PM

Is there actually a ceramic ring inside of a 1.5mm guide? If these are measured outside to outside, how could you even get a ring in there? The opening would be a pin hole. Not doubting, just wondering.

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 01:19AM

Tom,

Thank you very much for your input. I might be looking to apply to this concept to my next rod, jerkbait rod.

Thanks,
Tony

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2008 09:20AM

Rob,

From what I understand, the 1.5mm guides do not have any ring inserts in them. Only the 2mm and up and large enough to fit with a ceramic ring. If I'm wrong somebody will correct me.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2008 11:02PM

Couple more questions...

1. What brands are available and where? SIC rings?

2. If using the NGC on a 6'6" ML spinning rod- What quantity and size guides would generally be used?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster