I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pox in finish
Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 06:37PM

Hey Guys,
I hope someone can help me. I am still a greenhorn w/ only about 10 rods under my belt, mostly flyrods and I'm having a problem I haven't run into on the other rods I've built. While I was putting on the 1st coat of finish (American high build) which I have used on all but 2 of the others, there were dry spots apearing on the rod surface like something was on there preventing it from sticking. I used a hair dryer on it thinking it would spread out if heated, it only got worse. Thinking it may have been contaminated by masking tape or hand oils I let it dry that way and tried sanding it very lightly and it smothed out nicely w/out going too deep and hitting the thread. Well, I figured I would be OK with the 2nd coat but the same thing happened??? Being stuborn and seeing as I spent a lot of $$$ on the blank, for me anyway and was building it for someone very close to me I tried again, sanding and putting a 3rd coat on which is turning on the dryer right now but the same ding-dang thing is happening again!!! Now it looks horable, all lumps and holes! I know if anyone can set me straight its you guys. Please help!!!
Thanks in advance from your friend in S. Fla,
Pete

Snooker Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pox in finish
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:07PM

sounds like the surface has contamination.

Do you have something else to test the finish on. Try it there and see you will know more or less by then if it was the finish or the surface that has the problem.

You can always sand it back down and try again when you figure out what it is. If it is the finish sand it down once again just get the lumps out then use another brand and it should be as good as new.

A good finish will fill the holes no problem but you can never hide lumps.

If its the surface you can try cleaning it with alcohol or cover the contamination with color preserver to try and lock it out. Or even do both at the same time.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:26PM

Pete, I agree with Henry. I take it you did not use CP. This has happened to me before and the only thing I could do is take the guide and thread off and start over.

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:42PM

Thanks Guys,
I did use 2 coats of CP prior to finishing and like I said I never had this problem before. I'll try your suggestion Henry and see if I can get it smooth enough to try a differend brand of finish and if that does not work I'll go with your idea Terry and strip it all and start from square one, YIKES and it was my prettiest threadwork to date! I guess it can happen to anyone. I believe it must be the finnish as when I sanded it down twice it still would not stick. Unfortunately, there is not anywhere I can test on the rod as the handle and seat are already on.
Thanks again for your help,
Pete

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 08:32PM

Pete, Don't feel like the LONE RANGER here I'm having the same problem with my CP or some kind of contamination. I know for sure it's not the finish. The CP maybe, or me. I won't tell you the name of the CP that I was using because I don't want to talk down on somebody's product because I could be doing something wrong that I'm not aware of. When I did have to take the guide and thread off to start over I found the CP that I was using did not soak all the way down to the rod so I don't really don't know what the heck happened. I got a hold of some of Andy Dear's new CP that's coming out soon and although I've only used a little of it, so far I'm liking it very much.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 11:11PM

Instead of sanding may I recommend take a razor blade hold it at 90% to the finish and lightly scrap the finish tell it feels smooth. Wipe off all dust with a alcohol pad, re-coat with C/P and finish. The blank itself may be contaminated with a oil or silicon contaminate. You may just have to bite the bullet and strip the blank wash it down with a solution of water, liquid soap and alcohol, dry and start over. Sorry to hear about your problem.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Alan Anderson (67.131.3.---)
Date: April 18, 2008 01:59AM

Pete, had the same problem and it drove me crazy for weeks! I checked everything, TWICE, tried a different finish, different CP, different syringes, clean w/alcohol, clean w/acetone, you name... I tried it. Turns out the art supply store I use for brushes switched manufacturers. The new manufacturer put a sizing on the bristles to hold their shape. If you held the brush up to the light and rolled the bristles in you fingers you could see a very fine powder float off in the air. I washed the brushes with detergent, dried them, and problem solved! Contamination can come from the darnedest places.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 08:35AM

I know we are all happy you found what caused your problem. You also helped others with your discovery. It goes to show it may look clean, but in realiy it is contaminated. So clean every thing you use and keep your thread covered.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: April 20, 2008 11:35PM

Shellac is the gold standard sealer in the woodworking business. Get some Zinsser Seal Coat at a big box store. Use a toothpick to apply a small drop in a fisheye, and after about a minute wipe off the excess around the fisheye with a coffee filter. In about an hour lightly sand around the fisheye with fine sandpaper or synthtetic pot scrubber. May need to repeat if the fisheye is a deep pit. Next coat of epoxy will go on smooth as silk.

Jerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster