I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

crazy Idea??
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 05:01PM

I have two old 11'6 Garcia/Colonon ?? Rods that are a dark maroon color and beat to death from years of use. I have stripped one of all hardware and grips and sanded them to bare fiberglass carefully. It's a two peice and the sections have been epoxied together. Now what I have done, You tell me if this is nuts! I took dark mahogany stain and stained the fiberglass to a rich brown color so that you can see the fiberglass through the stain (reminds me of a Seeker or S-glass Lami) I don't know if anyone has done this and it wasn't hard to do. The thing is now I'm wondering what type of clear finish to use? Will Permagloss react with the stain? or should I use auto paint or Spar?? I was wondering what you guys think!
I'll post pictures as soon as I figure that out later tonight!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crazy Idea??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2008 05:34PM

Only way to tell really - try it on an inconspicuous area.

I have a feeling you'll want to use some sort of spar urethane.

Date: April 16, 2008 09:34PM

Kind of what I thought! I'll try Permagloss under a grip just to see what happens.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 10:53PM

If that is an OIL based stain, the finish will not adhere properly to the rod. In less im missing something here. Spar is the way to go. light misted coats and then you should be good to go.

Let us know.

k

Date: April 17, 2008 03:07PM

Well, I'm letting it dry for at least a week. I have stained fiberglass doors and such of course a door doesn't flex like a fishing rod but I hear talk of people painting rods with Enamels so.... I figured this would work and it's so thin and kind of sucked into the grains a bit, Meaning if I wanted to strip it I would destroy the rod. We'll find out, It's not some big deal rod that I'm using, in fact I got two of them with an old honey blank that my `90 year old neibor's son was throwing out.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2008 03:13PM

John,

Check your eMail.

Bill in WV

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2008 11:23PM

John,

Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster