I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuzzies after first coat.
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 06:16AM

Well I now have a bunch of tiny Fuzzies after the first coat and wonder how most of you deal with this? Oo you lightly sand them off or simply cut them with a sharp razor.
Bill Giokas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuzzies after first coat.
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:21AM

A sharp razor, the next coat you wont even know they were there.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:34AM

Do you mean you did a poor job trimming your tags?

Or do you mean that all the thread on your wrap fuzzed up?

For the odd thread tag that slips thru I just take a double edge razor blade (cut in half) and slice a thin layer of finish and the tag off. Works like a charm.

I have had thread from a spool totally fuzz up and after the finish was on it looked like a caterpillar. Very fine fuzz. I didn't even see it while wrapping. I took an alcohol torch and flamed each wrap which got rid of the fuzz. Then I tried two methods of getting rid of the "stubble". On a few wraps I used a double edge razor blade and "shaved" the stubble. And on a few others used some very fine grit sand paper. Each worked well.

The offending spool of thread immediately went in the trash and a replacement was ordered.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 08:24AM

Next time before you coat the threads with clear or CP, run a lighter under them as you turn the rod to burn them off. DO NOT TOUCH the thread itself but keep the flame several inches away. Just move the lighter back and forth quickly.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 08:44AM

I take a cig lighter to every wrap I wrap for the same reason Matt mentioned above. I've had some bad spools that looked like a catapalliar (loved that one Matt!) as well. So now I just flame every wrap and worry not.

DR

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 03:36PM

Bill / Duane,

If I'm way off base here just correct me. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to hold the lighter / torch to the side of the wrap instead of underneath to avoid soot on the thread?

Bill in WV

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:02PM

Here's my 2's - - - Whatever instrument is used to produce flame, it is best to have a BLUE
flame as this usually means complete combustion and no air borne by-products - - -A yellow
flame is usually incomplete combustion and there may be air borne by-products ( smoke;
soot; etc.); un-burned fuel. - - - Don'T confuse this with products of combustion which are gases.

jocko

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 08:07PM

I light the Bick, then after a few seconts I then run it under the wraps. I do not light it under the wraps and get soot on them. It is a learning process !!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 11:23PM

What type of thread did you use (Nylon, Rayon,Cotton or some other type of sewing thread) do no mention the manufacture. If it is a rod building thread contact your supplier or manufacture. You may have just got a bad spool.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 06:27AM

I used Pac Bay thread . I did not see the small fuzzes after I wrapped the rod. I'll try the flame method next time.
Bill.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 08:21AM

Check your tensioning device and maybe back off a little. I have not seen or heard any reports of bad Pac Bay thread. If these are the small thingys like show up on Gudebrod Green Nylon A it really can be quite frustrating and trimming that many is out of the question.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:27AM

The press bobben type that you have well squess and make the tread strands pill up if it is too tight. Also check the wire loop that is attached to the boobin defects and you might check those pink line guides on the base of the carriage for bures.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster