I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 questions
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 04:38AM

I am building a rod for my niece. I am using a pink blank with purple wraps and gold metallic trim bands. The thread is Gudebrod Nylon. It says nothing of NCP, Thould I use a color preseverative?

Next question, this rod will have holographic guides and reel seat. I would like to do an easy diamond butt wrap. any suggestions on color and directions?

I love this site and the info everyone shares.

Thanks to all who respond!!!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 questions
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:36AM

If it says nylon it is NOT NCP. It will require color preserver.Try a test wrap on a dowl or a pencil to make sure and see how it will react. As for colors match it to the quide wraps with a few shades of purple to mix it up a little.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 09:16AM

The main colors in the holo guides I use are purple, green and gold. Consider working those into the wrap in varying degrees in mettalic. For directions get Dale Clemmons book or Billy Vivonas book on thread art. Both give good explanations and have lots of patterns. Don't get too frustrated if you use a lot of metallic in the in the wrap and you have a hard time packing it. A couple trials and you'll get the hang of tension and packing directions, sometimes it's opposite of what you'd think. Also it will help, if you use metallic as a main thread, to make sure you throw in some bands of regular nylon or ncp, it helps hold the metallics in place.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 11:26AM

As Fred said if it says nylon it is regular thread not NCP. I would suggest trying a small wrap on the very butt end and apply finish you may very well like the color you get without using CP. My own preference when using holo guides is avoid metallics except maybe a small trim band, I think this shows off the guides better and again this is just what I like
John

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 05:35PM

Just a hint, Metallic threads hates to be burnished, it well some times fray or break. I would pack it tight, use medium thread tension and use a roller to pack it down in to the blank. Have a pointed dull implement to rearrange threads if they happen to jump out of place.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 11:26PM

For basic instruction on wrapping a diamond pattern, I'd suggest Clemen's 2nd or 3rd book. Billy Vivona's book is also good for this. Or, contact me by email at calicocreekrods@hotmail.com and I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 11:34PM

I believe Tom's book has that pattern also. Russ is also a master at thread work as well as John and Jim Upton
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2008 05:00AM

Thanks for all of the information. The careing and shareing you people do just ads to the enjoyment of this hobby of mine. Tom Kirkman thanks for this site and the encouragement you must have given to others to get this site i and magazine where they are today.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster