I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

polyester thread
Posted by: Mark Marshall (97.95.158.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:01PM

Is rayon and polyester thread the same thread or are they different? I'm looking at quilting thread advertised as outdoor thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: polyester thread
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:18PM

They are totally different material. Poyestor thread is suitable. I use Madeira Poly Neon, Mettler polyestor and others with no problem. Rayon is a different story. Do a search here and it will probably discourage you from using it. Far more problems than it's worth. One thing to be aware of is that sewing threads are often coated with silicon to aid in machine sewing. The use of CP will negate that problem.
If it's a matter of saving pennies versus potentially wrecking a lot of work, I wouldn't risk it with Rayon. Thread is about the cheapest thing you will use on a rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 10:40PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (97.95.158.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:32PM

I knew rayon was a no no. Forgot about the silicon. Thanks.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:43PM

CP takes care of the silicon problem but Rayon has a lot of other problems.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:45PM

Rayon is a real PITA. I have worked with it and I will never make another rod with it. The colors are magnificiant and I used them on my current tuna rod but it took me multiple tries to get it right. It just happened to be the only thread that I constantly had problems with. Even with 2 coats of CP, the epoxy was getting through to the bare thread and making it half translucent and half CPed. All and all quite the mess.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: April 18, 2008 01:53PM

I will never use rayon on a rod again either. Did one and that is enough for me!!! Not very strong and it does have the tendency even after packing it to death and several coats of CP goes translucent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster