I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sulky halo shimmer
Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:35PM

anyone use this for guide wraps or is it just good for trim bands, also does anyone know where i can find a canary yellow thread

BIC doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sulky halo shimmer
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:55PM

Don't know about the Sulky, (sounds like the flat ribbon?)

Try FishHawk 6778 Lemon yellow
Gudebrod nylon NCP #6778 yellow
Madeira 1883 yellow (poly-neon)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:59PM

Sulky Holo Shimmer is just too weak for wrapping. I like using it for trims, though. It's really bright and shiny and looks great for that.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:22PM

Putter's right. Most metallics are not recommended for guide wraps. Great for underwrap and trim and butt wraps.

Sulky thread is smaller than A and is much weaker. The flat stuff is weaker yet.

Terry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:38PM

Holy shimmer is more of a mylar film than a thread. I have had no problems with regular Sulky #40 polyester or their regular metallics . I have used it, as well as Madeira, Mettler, Robison, etc POLYESTOR 40 wgt for guide wraps for several with absolutey no problems. I can only speak about fresh water but have done Musky and trolling rods with it.. It is SLIGHTLY thinner than A, but more than strong enough. I use metallics thread for guide wraps (Gudebrod, Sulky, etc. more often than regular. Gudebrod metallics are stronger than their nylon per their own web site. Here are smeasurements of the various threads [northeastrodbuilders.com].

Keep in mind that this has been MY experience with Fresh water. Your mileage may vary!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.122.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 12:26AM

Holoshimmer is for trim only. It is a mylar film with no strength at all. As far as metallics go, I haven't found a true metallic thread that is unsuitable for wrapping. As a rule, metallics have more stretch so they require more tension, and under high tension, some brands of metallics can separate between the mylar wrap and the core. It looks like a pale color compared to the spool, but if you magnify it, the stretch is showing the white core under the metallic film beneath the spirals of the outer sheath. You just have to adjust.

Do some pull testing to failure on some test wraps with finish and CP/finish and you'll learn some cool stuff.

As far as canary yellow, look for a shade that you can live with in NCP. Yellow, at least to me, is the most painful thread to use. White is easier to use than yellow. Pack it tight, then pack it again. Hopefully, you've painted the blank in the wrap area white before wrapping.

I hate yellow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster