I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grouper rod
Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 03:19PM

Hi all. I am looking to build a grouper rod in the 50Lb. line class 6' 6'' to 7'. The set up will be for live bait with a penn 9000 spinning reel. I am looking for blank and guide sugestions. Thanks all.

I'd rather be catching!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 03:21PM by Eddie Anderson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grouper rod
Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.186-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 03:54PM

Eddie - I do a lot of Grouper fishing in the Tampa area - Gulf mostly. I am a little curious why you would be making a Spinning grouper rod...? I have an Accurate Twinspin that I built on a Calstar 700H blank - awesome combination, BUT I tried it for grouper and the spinning action just does not work for bottom fishing. Maybe you are casting at rock piles? Anyway, if you are really going to go with a 50lb Spinning outfit, the 700H is a great blank. Otherwise I built a conventional grouper rod on a Calstar 765ML - I would also recommend this blank, but not for spinning.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 04:05PM

GUSA SW70H, or XH, or Monster Mag, these are all graphite so they are much lighter & stiffer than the composites.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 04:37PM

Eddie the only place I have ever seen anyone use a spinning rod was in Marathon in the Keys for grouper, 50lb line on a spinning reel is quite a bit of strain.
If I had to build one I would go with the GUSA blanks along with some heavy frame guides
John

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 05:30PM

I agree with those above. 99% of spinning reels don't have the drag or turning power for grouper. Senator or Daiwa "H" models is what you find on all the commercial and charter boats for good reason.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 05:59PM

I use spinning gear alot for grouper fishing. Been using a Shimano Saragosa 8000 (33# of drag) lately with 55# Saltiga braid, on a shimano xxh jigging blank. It's put gags in the boat in the 25# range and many reds in the teens. I like to have a spinning and a conv set up so when one arm gets tired i can switch rods. Mudhole has some jigging blanks coming out later this month, the 400-500 gram models will be great for grouper and large amberjacks.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:05PM

That's why I said 99% of the spinning reels with the Penn 9000 Eddie mentioned included. But I still don't see why a high speed reel (conventional or spinning) is needed? I can see using a spinner for butterfly jigging but IMO a high-torque conventional will beat any spinner for typical live bait bottom fishing.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:33PM

High speed sure makes it easier to re-bait!

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:45PM

Hi all. I agree a conventional rod would be better, but the person asking for the rod insisted on the spinning set up.

Date: April 16, 2008 08:53AM

If you are interested in going the GUSA route, here is what I currently have in stock, in several colors, and I'm expecting more this week: [northeastrodbuilders.com]

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2008 10:58AM

Billy - any problem trimming these blanks from the butt? Most everyone I know likes their jigging rods in the 5'2" - 5'6" range.

Date: April 16, 2008 11:00AM

I'm going to be getting blanks made that length soon, so they do not need to be cut. A couple of inches, is OK, not more than that because the are designed to shut off at a certain point, and when you move that point back towards the butt it might lose some power. I am getting 5' composite jigging blanks in stock this week, I'll have pics of weights hanging off the tips soon enough. HEre is wha tI've taken pics of so far: [northeastrodbuilders.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2008 11:02AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.150.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 02:43PM

The first 10 or 15 rapid, uninterupted cranks on your reel usually are the difference between fillets and rocks when fishing groupers. The high gear ratio of most spinning reels makes this cranking - not pumping - quite difficult. I would go with a low retrieve-rate conventional reel and a rod to match - a short one, too.

Date: April 16, 2008 03:10PM

Phil, I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but the "PG" (Power Gear) series of spinning reels from Shimano have gear ratios of 4.6:1, which is comparable to conventional. Persoanlly, I would never use a spinning reel for bottom fishing, especially where you might have to sit in freespool to let the fish run with the bait like when Mutton fishing. But to each his own.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 02:36PM

If you come to South Louisiana to fish wif us for Grouper don't bring no peashooter!

Trick -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Or Treat -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Lagnaippe!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you let em swim they will go into the submerged platform and cut off and you will cry cry cry!

All on Seeker XXH Winch and Windless!

Hook em up and drag em out!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2008 02:48PM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster