I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Assortment??
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 05:56AM

Being new to this great "hobby", it is killing me to sit down and try to figure out my guide sizes that I need for specific rods and then some for repair. I would like to match any repair guides as best I can when doing that but it's tough sometimes figuring it all out. I have seen some rod kits that come pre-packaged per rod but they are usually more expensive than buying each guide separately. Is there a company or manufacturer that sells an assortment of guides that you can buy to help you get started? I been looking for this "kit" but so far have come up MT. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Assortment??
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:20AM

Pac Bay makes a repair kit ... a mixture of spinning, casting and fly guides with various tips plus a tip sizer and glue stick.

However, this STILL won't get you anywhere near what it takes to do repair work. I have an entire wall (156 drawers) of guides/tips and have used stuff in "miscellaneous bags" PLUS have to order occasionally ... and that doesn't mention when I just can't match it, period.

It takes time, determination, resourcefulness and LOTS of money to handle repairs properly.

BTW, Bob at Custom Tackle has access to the repair kits I mentioned ... a photo is available HERE - [www.fishpacbay.com]

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:51AM

Tip tops well be you biggest problem (tub size plus ring size. As for kits that is a judgement call. There are so many diffent frame styles out there, then you have the type of ring sizes, plus the ring its self. I recomend finding all the brocken rods you can find and salvage the guides. When it comes to ordering guides for a repair oder a couple of extra. I basicly retired 7years ago, but I am still repairing and building rods. I have yet to order guid sets unless it was for a specific custom rod. . I was in the business for over 25 years. Like Jim said it is possible to have a sponsar set you up with a repair kit, but it well cost bucks
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2008 09:05AM

I find that about 2 different guide frame styles, and about 6 sizes of each, will handle 95% of the repair jobs you run into. Stock black and chrome frames and let it go at that.

If you run into a situation where the customer wants the same frame color (something other than black or chrome) or a specific frame style that is a bit of an oddball, tell him that's a special order and that it will cost more and take longer. Otherwise, the Fuji style casting or spinning guide frames will match 95% of what's out there and all the major guide distributors carry something in a nearly identical frame style.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 09:06AM

Personal opinion only, but I dislike "kits" of any kind fpr three reasons. 1 They generally include one brand only and 2, they often include a lot that will never be used and 3. they reflect someone else's prepackaged opinions of what is needed The guides that I use most in repair work may be rarely used in your repair work. Like Bob says, every time you order, order extras and you will soon have an inventory. Also, aside from the higher end guides, the most used/popular guides are pretty inexpensive.
As for prepackaged "carded" guides, they generally give you way to many sizes that most would place on a rod. Even the production rods now generally use only a few sizes per rod. I (and many builders) rarely use over three guide size on a rod.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 09:54AM

The easiest way to achieve this situation is to call us. We'll discuss the market of what type rods you obtain for repair and customize a guide and tip assortment to start you off. You can then, steadily add to that assortment. When you receive the assortment, make sure you lable each tip or guide in a box and then you can easily re-order when you get low on an item. Give us a call at 931-684-6164 and we'll get you headed in the right direction, with what you need to gt started.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 11:10AM

Thanks for all this input, I really appreciate your time. Being new to this craft, I have a bunch of questions and you have always been there.
Thanks again,
Steve

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 11:16AM

Bob will get you off on the right foot!! Don't hesitate to ask questions here and be sure to check out the library at the top. It would help you a lot if you unhid your e-mail address so people could contact you directly. Shoot me an e-mail at mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 03:50PM

Steve,

Your email addy is hidden. If you will unhide it you will recieve more direct email help. I have a source that will help you. But IMO, you should purchase when you can from the sponsors to the left, as they're the ones who pay to keep this forum running.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.99.newnanutilities.org)
Date: April 15, 2008 11:12PM

Sorry about the email thing, I think it is visible now. I have 2 addresses, my work is steve.chontos@delta.com and home is zeke392@yahoo.com. I am off work fishing through Sunday. I work for Delta Air Lines and coordinate a bass fishing tournament for our employees and family members every year. We fish Thursday and Friday this week. I have a club tournament on Saturday and a kids tournament Sunday with my son, all on the same lake, West Point Lake in LaGrange, Ga. I won't have access to a computer til Sunday nite so please forgive a lack of response till then. Thanks for the help, I am having a blast.
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster