I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How Long is Too Long?
Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.34-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:25PM

To wait for a shipment from a supplier... ? I tried to save a few bucks, but now it has been over 3 weeks for some guides, cork, and a few reel seets?

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Long is Too Long?
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:38PM

How did you order ? on line ? did you call to confirm that the order has been received ? Did you check to see if they had everything you ordered in stock ? Maybe most items are on backorder and they are waiting on a restocking shipment to fill the complete order. Maybe it's being dropped shipped from the manufacturer. That's several questions that only your supplier can answer. If everything was in stock I'd say a week to ten days at the most to get your order.
A simple phone call to the supplier should answer all of your questions.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:39PM

Sounds like its something they don't stock. I have a little bit of a bone to pick with companies that offer products that they don't stock. If they don't routinely keep it in stock they should list it on their website as a non stocking item and mention that it could take a few weeks to get it. If they didn't mention that then I think you have already waited too long. Cancel the order and find another sponsor that has it in stock.

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.34-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:58PM

I put in order over the phone. Was told SPECIFICALLY on that first call that everything should be in stock, and even it was not that they got most shipments in a few days. Was actually told that "we don't put up with suppliers like that..." Supposedly they have everything, except for a reel seat... One reel seat = 3 weeks+....? So I asked to have everything else shipped last week, then I called to check as I had not received it... Evidently there was a misunderstanding he says, thought I wanted to wait... whatever I say...
I have used Mudhole in the past and if something is back ordered they ship everything else... no extra charges. The place I went to though is a few percent cheaper AND I used them because they are evidently a well liked sponsor. Anyway, I am pretty unhappy. Just checked the calendar - it has been 25 days.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.125.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 10:12PM

I once waited a couple of months on a single guide that wasn't available anywhere else. Backordered. It is annohying, but stuff happens sometimes. While you were ordering your stuff on the phone with a guy maybe writing stuff down on a pad for sake of timeliness, how many other people may have sent in a mail and/or internet order at the same time for the same stuff you wanted, that was processed by another person? Suddenly what was in stock 20 minutes ago is now out of stock. With popular items, this can happen more often than not. With it being spring, and a bit of a boom time for rodbuilding, it is even worse. Everyone has had a horror story with a supplier or two.

It is a running joke in my home that on any order I make, the one thing that I positively must have, is the one thing that always goes on backorder. Unless you stock a huge amount of parts, it is going to happen more often than it will not, in my experience. It doesn't lessen the pain or frustration, but that's just how it goes.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 10:58PM

Steve -

IF you are in a pinch, I can probably loan you what you need until yours comes in. Send me an e-mail with the items that are killing you, IF you are interested. I am in Tampa Bay, too.

Jim -

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:52AM

Jim brings up the one of the reasons that we have the Rod Builders Directory here on this site - get to know the other rod builders in your local area. One of them may be able to save your skin one day, or you theirs.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 11:21AM

Steve if Jim doesn't have what you need drop me a line I am on the other side of the bay,even if I don't have it I may be able to get it tonight as we have our local club meeting at a local distributor
John

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 12:42PM

Watch using USPS too. They are really failing in my book.

Here's why:
Sent a letter first class... SC to Idaho... took 2 weeks early February. I knew weather was terrible up there then, so I blew it off.
Ordered decals from Decal Connection, TN to SC, letter was post marked Feb 29th and I got it 3/31. (they resent me the order after a week and a half went by and I didn't receive... THANK YOU)
Priority Mail package from Miami to SC - 6 days for delivery (mysteriously showed up next day after I called the postmaster and raised cane after they said "We're not sure where it is... oh wait... it's been sitting in Atlanta for 3 days. Not much we can do").

If you use USPS, get insurance, delivery confirmation and package tracking if it's a vaulable item.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 01:18PM

Steve,

I sent you an email.

Like you, I hate waiting on things and most of the time I make sure everything is stocked and good to go. I've waited on 3 wrongly sent guides for 6 months before. Actually I didn't wait, I just bought elsewhere after waiting 2 weeks and had totally forgotten about the "right" ones from that distributer. Getting parts is one of the big PIA things about rod building. When you find a good place to deal with, stay with them, I have and it works.

DR

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.186-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 03:09PM

Update - The supplier saw this thread and is having PB send the items directly to me and everything else is going to go out today. Hopefully it works out.

Alex - I send out a lot of things Priority USPS - I was recently told by one of the Postmen at the counter that Priority is sent EXACTLY the same as first class... no faster... just costs more and has the convenience of flat rate packages / envelopes.

Duane - Thanks for the note, I will keep it in mind.

Jim and John - I really appreciate the offers, and may take you up on it in the future. I will see how this plays out for now though. I am over inthe Palm Harbor area (N. Pinellas) Where are you guys?

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 03:42PM

Steve check your e-mail
John

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:05PM

We are fortunate to have some extremely honest and reliable suppliers supporting this website. I am pleased to single out Angler's Workshop as one of the best in customer service and prompt delivery. The point is there is no reason to suffer with continued poor service from any particular supplier. The benefit of a slightly lower price is no comfort when your order does not arrive in a timely manner.

David

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 16, 2008 10:12AM

I'm with David, Angler's is great. When they were out of some Pac Bay guides I needed they gave me what they had and I guess had the others dropshipped to me because I had them the next day. That said I have similar stories from FishStick4U and others here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster