I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No more Gudebrod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 02:26PM

I'm looking to change threads, I'm done with Gudebrod, the line twist is no longer tolerable.
Three brand new spools and the line twist between my thread carriage and the rod is unbelievable, and you don't dare back up more than 1 or 2 turns, then you get the little twist nub going through your fingers and you get a lap over on the thread one way or the other, the thread jumps.

Any suggestions for other threads, I'm looking at PacBay and FishHawk, I've started collecting the Madeira for trim bands and other uses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No more Gudebrod
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:07PM

I have limtied expirience but fish hawk metalics are kick butt for me they dont have the foil unwinding issues or freakish problems from spool to spool. I have seen this in some other brands metalics.

Posted by: Terry Reece (---.nets.nemais.navy.mil)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:10PM

I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong. It's a very annoying thing.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:33PM

This post is kinda bothering me -

I have some too problem thread too -

I am wondering if we are talking about Guidebrod factory loaded spools -

or

Spools of Gudebrod thread that a third party is respooling -

This could easily cause the twist noted -

I have some spools of Gudebrod thread that have obviously been overloaded - these spools exhibit the same twisting noted above.

It looks like someone has put way too much thread on the spools because they are not level and the surface is quite rounded.

The labels do not look quite right.

If someone is buying large spools of G thread and re installing on small spools the additional winding may be causing all the problems. Some one could be doing this for a small profit.

Is there any "knock off Gudebrod on the market"?

I wonder -

Gon Fishn

Date: April 14, 2008 03:36PM

Yes Gudebrod is the brand I think it is very possible someone is respooling them and I also believe they may be putting a different products on the spool than stated IE boot legging.

Date: April 14, 2008 03:37PM

Im not sure how to tell what is factory loaded and what isnt.

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 04:19PM

And I thought it was only me having problems with Gudebrod....I have had some of the trashiest spools I have ever seen...there are sections of thread that are void of metallic coating....not to mention, the knots that appear....no more Gudebrode for me.....
I used FishHawk several years ago and then could not find a dealer who carried it....so glad to see that Bob is going to have it....

MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: April 14, 2008 04:56PM

I just completed wrapping a rod with some Fish Hawk metallic that was given to me in High Point by the new owners of the Fish Hawk. (Wonderful people. Father and son team if I remember correctly. Thanks again, guys!).

Basically, I found it very easy to work with, the wraps held nicely even after teasing to cut off the tag ends cleanly, and the sheen and color were beautiful.

Tony

Posted by: John Broughton (---.vgs.untd.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 05:49PM

I second or third the vote on Gudebrod. The last few spools I were just garbage!!\
Line twist and easily frayed. Even if it isn't Gudebrod we're getting I would think they would
be concerned enough about their product to look into it and find the problem. If not the
company will be history.

John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2008 06:10PM

Anyone that is bothering to respool rod winding thread has picked the wrong product to get rich on.

I doubt any of it is counterfeit - it's just poor quality control.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 08:58PM

Marylou,

Your problem is not unique! I too have had spools of Gudebrod metallic that contained areas of no mettalic coating. At this point I am at a lose as to where to go next. I have used Fish Hawk Black metallic but did not think it was all that great either. I did pick up a few spools from Robbie in HP but have not used them yet. I seriously doubt that there is conterfiet threat going on. There are so many manufactures of nylon thread in the world that it is not worth the trouble!

For whatever it is worth-my 2 cents worth.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 10:58PM

Hi,

It seems like there is a problem with a Gudebrod thread product. Has anyone called Gudebrod (1-877-249-2211) and explained your problem? If so, what did they say?

Is it possible they have a problem and are not aware of it? They might like to know and also know what vendor you ordered if from and the date.

If I ordered one of your custom rods and was not happy with it, what would you rather I do? Post the problem all over the internet or call you to explain the problem and give you an opportunity to respond?

I have never heard of third party filling of thread spools BUT in todays world maybe it is being done.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 12:32AM

When it was obvious Gudebrod 811 was going South fast, there were numerous testimonials and dissapointments written over their new product. I am not sure how deep the cave one from Gudebrod would have to be living in, to have missed the huge amount of negative feedback BUT I remember seeing or hearing nothing from them on the subject. I found that to be very peculiar. I then assumed that they A.... are so big and do so much volume in related thread areas that Rod Builders needs don't warrant a breath of concern or effort from them or B.... they are big, poorly managed and the littlelier users are easily onerlooked or C...they are in trouble as a company and can't make the improvement needed to produce an A+ product or D.... someone high up just doesn't give a rats petooty what customers think.. Now here we are with serious, consistant concerns over the quality of their thread. Will the same pattern of NO RESPONCE once again be their tact on this major concern? If it is, I TOO WILL BE DONE WITH GUDEBROD!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 06:54AM by Steve Cox.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 01:07AM

Fish Hawk nylon, metallic, and silk. Madeira. Good stuff.

As far as Gudebrod, we've had some problems with some sections of some spools, but not enough to discontinue using what we have.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: April 15, 2008 06:51AM

For me its been more than just missing sections of foil over the thread..

look at the picture its very hard to tell and pickup in the camera since everything is trying to refelct light here but.

The spool on the left has SECTIONS of the thread with a sorta milky white film over the silver leaveing it dull/shiny when wrapped on a rod I have a aweful looking silver and white milk silver variegated look going on. In the picture it isnt as pronunced but that spool is alot duller. I thought it was just the outer layers maybe so a I stripped the spool down half way still has the same problem. I want my money back LOL. This is the second spool I got like this from two suppilers. By any chance anyone know if their vendors get their stock froma place that starts with an M and ends in a K.

[i208.photobucket.com]

I have recieved thread from them many times that had that overwrapped buldged spool look to it I always thoguht they were wrapping it themselves from a larger spool since they are big figured they had permission or work out a special deal to do so. anyway just a thought I have no proof.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:08AM

I too have had the same problems as above. I get spools that look like they took scraps off of the floor and wrapped them by hand onto the spool. What is more aggrevating is when the use the poor judgement and decide to tie 2 pieces of thread together to make the spool complete. But, I saw it all the other day I had a spool of metallic that looked hand spooled and there were 3 seperate pieces of thread on that spool and they were not tied together!

I am counting the days til we switch over to Fish Hawk. Their metallic is a dream. I just wish they had more colors to choose from.

Kevin

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:56AM

Good morning,

So, a problem exists but no one has called their supplier or the manufacturer. Why not? If no one calls and/or sends the spools back to Gudebrod nothing will be accomplished.

Third party respooling? I just called one of my distributers and their Gubebrod thread comes direct from Gudebrod. In the past when I ordered special products from Gudebrod they took my order but the product came by way of the distributor and also the billing.

Yes, every once in a while I get a spool with a link knot in it. Yes, a pain in the neck but not a major problem.

Yes in the past I did experience the mylar covering coming off. The problem was I was using too much tension while wrapping the rod. No longer is this a problem, I use less tension. I also make sure there are no burrs in the thread path.

In the past I was using sewing machine tension devices and I felt they were part of the problem. It would be interesting to know if hand wrappers are experiencing these problems.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:08AM

Niel,
Yes, I as a hand wrapper have experienced some of the exact problems described here. I still use many of thier colors as I don't do enough volume to justify replacing every spool that I have. I have however replaced my problem spools with Maderia or simply moved on from that specific color. I will be trying some of the Fish Hawk in the future.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2008 09:00AM

I don't use enough thread these days to know where their current quality lies but I do know that Gudebrod is not actively involved with custom rod building on any level outside of supplying thread to the users. It might not be a bad idea to make a few calls or write a few letters. They may have no idea that builders are dissatisfied with their current product.

Interesting thing on the knots - this is something they've always done. Early on in my rod building career I was making my first decorative wraps. It was nearly almost always the case that as you were making the tie-off wrap you'd hear a "thump" and look up to see where thread had been knotted together. The thump was the sound of the knot passing through your tension device. And nearly always right in the middle of that critical tie-off wrap.

Date: April 15, 2008 09:12AM

Capt Neil Faulkner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good morning,
>
> So, a problem exists but no one has called their
> supplier or the manufacturer. Why not? If no one
> calls and/or sends the spools back to Gudebrod
> nothing will be accomplished.
>
> Third party respooling? I just called one of my
> distributers and their Gubebrod thread comes
> direct from Gudebrod. In the past when I ordered
> special products from Gudebrod they took my order
> but the product came by way of the distributor and
> also the billing.
>
> Yes, every once in a while I get a spool with a
> link knot in it. Yes, a pain in the neck but not
> a major problem.
>
> Yes in the past I did experience the mylar
> covering coming off. The problem was I was using
> too much tension while wrapping the rod. No
> longer is this a problem, I use less tension. I
> also make sure there are no burrs in the thread
> path.
>
> In the past I was using sewing machine tension
> devices and I felt they were part of the problem.
> It would be interesting to know if hand wrappers
> are experiencing these problems.

Hi Neil from what I have seen these problems are on the spool before I even load it into a wrapping device, it does not seem to be user error. I have tried a few other brands that I can step, spit, beat on the thread and I wont have any of the problems Ill have even with a good spool of gudebrod. I think the sentiment here like mine is to just switch over to another product and dont bother with cmplaining and hope they fix it cause there is better stuff out there anyway.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster