I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerkbait Blanks
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2008 08:45PM

Well after fishing a Pointer DD78 and Jackall squad minnow all day I have decided I need a new jerkbait rod. I am looking for a blank that is 6'3" with enough tip to work the bait, but slow enough not to lose as many ballistic smallies...

I was using a BS706 cut to 6'6" and a 2C66MF. Found both of them to be a bit long. The Seeker was just not comfortable to fish a jetbait with all day and the 2C66mf just didnt feel fast enough to work the bait.

Alright, suggestions please.....

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerkbait Blanks
Posted by: Richard Stone (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: April 13, 2008 09:29PM

I really like the Rainshadow ISB782 for jerkbaits. It has a good tip action with some backbone. You could probably trim a couple inches off it and still be OK. A lot of guys like the loomis CB842 but I personally think it's a little light for anything over a rogue.

Posted by: Steve Day (---.micron.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 11:52AM

Try a St. Croix 3C66MHM cut down 3". I built a 6' 6" jerkbait rod on that blank and like it a lot. It has enough power to work the baits well, but it is slow enough to keep them hooked up pretty well. If you have a hot smallie that's jumping all over, you are going to have a hard time keeping him on any rod... especially with treble hooks.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 12:42PM

Scott,

Long ago I learned that a soft rod, jerkbaits and smallmouth do not get along very well concerning hook up and LAND ratio's. What is happening is the SM are holding the jerkbait TIGHT in their mouth, blowing up on the sufrace and spitting the lure becasue you never had a hook IN the fish. You're not moving the lure on the set, they hold it that tight. I've moved the fish and not moved the lure many times. Step up to a cut MH blank like Steve Day suggested.

DR

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:24PM

Castaway 784 MH - 2.5 with Pistol no foregrip and Castaway Fully Exposed Seat

Some of the names are Docker Knocker, Jerk and Twitch, Walk d Dog, Just Plain Jerk

Exactly what is pictured 3rd from top of picture.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Blanks details: Click on picture when it opens for easy reading

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Swamplandrods@msn.com

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: April 14, 2008 08:07PM

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Duane, what you are saying makes perfect sense to me now.....I didnt think about that on Sunday. I'm going to look into a few of these blanks.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:38PM

Scott,

It took me a LONG time to figure that out! ...and thats what got me "into" building rods. I could not find a rod off the shelf that suited my river smallmouth bass in the jerkbait catagory. Once I built a stiff and short enough rod, I started landing those fish that we blowing up and spitting the lure and making me look like a school kid....needless to say I got more than EVEN! LOL Good luck in the jerkbait rod hunt, for me I have never found a "perfect" rod for this.....but a CTS EBT784 cut here and there is dang close!

DR

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:41AM

Scott -- From what I keep hearing you mention, you may want to look at the St. Croix model - 3C62MXF or 3S63MXF. I really like the tip in these two models for working the jerkbait on a retrieve and the back-bone for fighting the fish.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster