I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank prep for Permagloss
Posted by: Tommy Peace (---.sbc.com)
Date: April 09, 2008 04:13PM

OK.. I finally sanded off all the old epoxy where the guides were. It left the blank dull in those areas.
I applied one goat of PG and it looks pretty good but those areas are still dull. Is this normal? Should I skuff the entire blank to make it look even or will this diminish after a couple more coats of PG? If I color the PG would that help?

Thanks
Tommy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank prep for Permagloss
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2008 04:26PM

PermaGloss should put a pretty nice gloss on the area. How are you applying it? If wiping on (what many of us do) make sure the application foam or cloth is well saturated with the PG.

Posted by: Tommy Peace (---.sbc.com)
Date: April 09, 2008 04:37PM

Actually using a waxing pad type applicator. I may get some cheese cloth for a recoat. Based on your recommendation from an earlier post.
If I do the cheese cloth for the next coat well saturated should that improve the look you think or am I going to have issues since I didn't usse perhaps a better applicator first? Also if I wait 2-3 hours so I can get the cheese cloth any issues with the 2nd/3rd apps?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2008 05:24PM

You should be okay. You'll know as soon as you make the next application.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2008 08:06AM

Tommy,
On those 1950's rods I am re-building - I applied 3 coats PG with a cheesecloth - per Tom - but then I "buffed with 2,000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper WET. That kept 90% of the shine but made a nice smooth finish.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster