I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

If it was yours...
Posted by: Scott Mohlenbrok (---.area1.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 08, 2008 11:14AM

Okay my mentors, if you could build a set of rods for YOU, what would you use?
Blanks
Guides
Reels Seats
Grips
Etc?

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If it was yours...
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 08, 2008 11:27AM

As someone who owen nearly 100 fresh and saltwater rods and NO duplications you dont have enough room on the site for the answers but I can tell you I am taking a real hard look at the Batson blanks and Components these days. Maybe you should do one species at a time. I will Start with my favorite stand up Tuna stick. CalStar Boomer Jr, Aftco Roller guides(A mix of SHDs and HDs, Aftco RS, 9" and 18" hypalon grips, and ball double slot gimbal. That is my 100# stick.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: April 08, 2008 12:11PM

OK here is my choice for a few bass rods (cannot do a full set, not enough time or storage space!!). Blanks - I pick a blank based on specific specs for the rod and usually includes several brands. My recent projects are based on St Croix SCIII and SCIV because they seem to be dead on with my "needs". Guides Fuji, Alconite and SIC in the 'mini" sizes, used Fuji for years without a problem, Alconites best bang. Seats Fuji. Grips cork but will probably convert to foam/composite or a "hard" foam.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.k12.ar.us)
Date: April 08, 2008 01:02PM

All my personal rods are built on SCIII blanks with Fuji Titanium SiC guides (TLSGs). For casting rods, I use cork for the grips, a split seat built from a Fuji ECSM, and a simple spiral wrap. For spinning rods, I use Fuji Titanium Guides (TATSGs and TLSGs), cork and NPS seats (mounted downlocking). I try to use as little cork as possible for my split grips. Further, I try to keep my wraps short and my finish thin.

If I was building my "dream rods," I would keep everything the same, except I would upgrade the blanks to SCVs. (Unfortunately, all the models I like aren't available in the SCV, as of yet.)

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.225.---)
Date: April 08, 2008 02:18PM

Suppose you wanted a good spinning rod for large bass and inshore light tackle jigging for stripers/blues tossing 3/8 - 1 1/2 0z lures ........ not trying to jack the thread but that is the kind of rods I want to build for the Chesapeake Bay from the Flats to the Bay Bridge Tunnel

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2008 03:17PM

I have tried many different blanks over the last few years and can't say anything bad about any of them. They all perform well. That being said, I don't like to spend a lot of money as I am not sure if paying several hundred or more dollars for a blank, which might just have a better paint job on it, will make it any better performing. If I had to choose a single manufacturer for all of my purchases then it would probably be Batsons'. They have all of the types of fishing that I might do covered with a good selection of blanks and components. As I build mostly fly rods Batson's RX8 is a fast blank that I would say would compare in performancte to a top of the line Sage or other higher-priced blanks but at half the price. Dan Craft's Five Rivers series of blanks is another example of blanks that perform exceptionally well but don't cost an arm and a leg.
I think we have a tendancy, as custom builders, to over-build a rod with respect to components. If you use the right size and placement for the components you will have a rod that works for the purpose intended. As much as I like Fuji Titanium SIC guides, there are others many times cheaper that will perform adequately in most fishing situations. I haven't yet drawn a conclusion on whether an aluminum oxide ring guide will hold up as good as a SIC one, but for now I just don't have any evidence that they won't.
For all reel seats and grips you just have to use something that you can customize. The reel seat and grip offer too many customizing possibilities to ignore. I am bored with making plain cork grips and if I can't add some wood or some of Andy Dear's synthetic cork to my gip then I feel like I'm just assembling a rod. Each to their own but I guess the good news is we have a plethora of blanks and components to choose from. So whether you want to spend a lot or just a little there is something out there for you.

Lynn

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 08, 2008 05:07PM

Most of my stuff is for bass fishing, some light saltwater. St. Croix SCIV and American Tackle Matrix are the bulk of what I use for blanks. ONLY Fuji guides and seats. All cork grips, no more EVA or hypalon for me. Flex Coat is my go to finish. It just plains works every time, all the time.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 08, 2008 06:07PM

Why would I want a set of rods for myself. Im a Rodbuilder. I don't have time to fish!!! LOL I am lucky to get out 2 times a year! Nice thought though.

Kevin

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2008 01:50AM

I guess your talking bass rods.. Thats easy G loomis IMX or GLX the whole MB line. guides fuji, minimum of fuji SIC-stainless. seats fuji. grips cork split grip no foregrip. by the way i dropped a loomis mb 783 IMX and $300 daiwa reel over board in the dark i thought for sure it was lost. The rig floated.. Oh and some very high end cork to go with it.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 09, 2008 10:55AM

Richard - email me and let's discuss.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 09, 2008 05:09PM

Loomis IMX SJ6400, extended to about 6'2". Fuji Titaniums, TATSG/TLSG. Size 18 ergonomic skeleton with a cast resin insert. Trimmed seat threads, KDPS sleeve, also trimmed down to make avery small foregrip. Seat installed downlocking. Carbon fibre fitted to KDPS. Split grip with carbon fibre skinned foam. Gunsmoke anodized Al winding checks. Engraved metal butt plate, slightly recessed into the butt. Sweeeeeeeet!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2008 06:09PM by Ted Morgan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster