I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat self leveling properties
Posted by: Mark Marshall (97.95.157.---)
Date: April 06, 2008 10:30AM

For Flex Coat users who have used both the high build and lite formulas, how would describe the self leveling properties of each?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat self leveling properties
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 10:50AM

All finishes are self leveling, it doesn't make any difference what brand it is.
As for high build it is a little thicker constancy than the light, which lets you put it on a little heaver than the light formula.
As with all finishes two light coats are better than one heavy coat for constant finishes, there are exceptions to every rule.
Remember that getting down a measuring, mixing, and application method that remains the same from rod to rod will get you the best results, it is when you try to change your method, is when you run in to problems. Changing from one brand to another, you will have to figure out a new measure, mix and application method.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 06, 2008 12:20PM

Exactly what Tim said. Pick a product, learn it's quirks and stick with what works.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2008 12:30PM

Ditto. They all seem to work similar but each has its own unique qualities that you only get to know after working with it. I still use FC High mostly but when working with white thread I use Threadmaster.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2008 12:35PM

Pour out some of each onto a flat surface and watch what happens - both level perfectly. There is no difference between any of the popular epoxies in terms of self leveling abilities - they're all the same.

If you get lumps and bumps, hills, valleys, etc., it's usually because you're apply too much at one time. Read the article in the online library about finishing for more information.

Thinner finishes generally require thinner applications and thicker ones can withstand thicker applications.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 01:44PM

With FC I use heat. When heat is applied the globes well form where there is a over abundance of finish. I use a brush to wick this off on to the low side. While the finish is turning look at the under side you well see your waves. You can fill in the low spots with new finish or drag the high side over and fill the low spots. . By looking at the finish from the underside you can see how level your finish well be.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Marshall (97.95.157.---)
Date: April 06, 2008 05:18PM

Thanks for all of your comments.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2008 08:57PM

So far all the light brands I have tried level very well I dont think they could do othrwise since they are so thin. The thick versions is where most will run into problems they hold bubbles longer and sometimes will not release, will lump and bump and do all kinds of funny stuff if the user applies it incorrectly. One thing I can tell you of the heavies Flex Coat heavy is one of the best for self leveling properties without needing much help.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 10:41PM

I agree Henry on that point. When using Flex Coat and it starts to thicken you can use heat to re-liquify it. DOWN SIDE you have to be fast smoothing it out NO secound chances.
Good Wra[s Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster