I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting Texallium
Posted by: Brian Avery (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: April 05, 2008 08:04PM

Do any of you have a preferred method for cutting texallium? I did a test cut on my bandsaw with the factory blade , and it seemed to perform ok. But I'm interested to see if any of you have a better way.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Texallium
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: April 05, 2008 10:06PM

I'm wondering about this as well. I cut on my mitre saw with a fine tooth blade (finish grade). I had taped the area where I was going to cut, and it still left chips in the finish around the cut area.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2008 10:19PM

I'd say probably try a Dremel with a cutoff wheel.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2008 10:23PM

My $100 home depot wet saw cuts everything so nice and clean (diamond blade). I would think not everyone has access to one though but its most likly is the best way to cut just about anything that needs to look good and be done quickly.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 06, 2008 12:07AM

Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Dress with a fine, single cut file.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: April 06, 2008 03:49AM

I will second the diamond blade that is what I have seen used by blank manufacturers.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2008 08:22AM

Henry probably has the quickest method. In the past I've wrapped tape around the cylinder to function as a straightedge and then cut with hacksaw or dremel tool followed by squaring on a sanding disk (you can also stand the tube on end and work it in circular motions over a piece of 100 to 150 grit sandpaper).

I've not cut any Texalium on my larger Dewalt cut-off saw yet, but have cut some carbon fiber tubing and it leaves a pretty clean end. You might still have to touch it up just a tad as the large cut-off wheels tend to burn the edges just a little bit.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 08:26AM

I would also vote for the diamond wheel but use mine in a dremel. I resquare the ends with a flat file and it works good on Texallium!

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: April 06, 2008 09:46AM

Whatever you do don\'t even think about using a tubing cutter! I tried that and pretty much ruined a piece of the tubing. The cutter crushes it under the guide wheels. Doesn\'t cut worth a hoot either.

I\'ve also gone to using a diamond wheel in a dremel and just use sandpaper to square up the ends afterwards. Only takes a minute and makes quick work of it.

Posted by: Brian Avery (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 01:12PM

Thanks to all for the input!

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 05:26PM

i've basically made a large arrow cutting saw out of a dremel and a cone of HDPE.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 09:09PM

I now cut Texalium with a diamond blade in a wet tile saw. It takes the fiberglass dust out of the picture that irratates me and makes a good clean cut. Just handling this stuff after purchasing will have my wrist itching like crazy. After using the wet saw and rinsing the pieces with water I have no problems. You have to watch texalium on the cut off ends as it will flake some, masking tape will also pull the finish off if taped on the ends for cutting. Ive been using it with American Tackles Aero reel seat so one end goes into the reel seat and dont need protected, and I will make a small wrap on the butt end and apply finish. Had no concerns after finishing this way.

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 10:01PM

Brian-

I'm sure all of the above work great. A trick I learned from Bob McKamey was to go to Harbor Freight and buy a small chop saw. I think I paid like $19.99 for mine. I have been using it for about 5 years to cut graphite tubing for Tennessee handles, Texalium tubing, foam arbors, wood blanks, mandrels, pvc tubes for shipping, etc. It really works well. The only limitations are that you have to go slow and it will only cut items about 3.5" in diameter (or maybe 3"?). I think it takes an odd size blade - like 5" - but Harbor Freight carries replacements and I have not needed to replace mine to date.

With most carbon fiber materials, you still want to wrap the area to be cut with masking tape (as Tom said above) to keep the bottom surface from splintering. Worst case you may need to do some light dressing with a sanding disc after the cut, but typically if you go slow you will get a very clean, very uniform and square cut. And it's fast.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster