I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nu-Skin Rod Armor Installation
Posted by: Fred Staley (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: April 04, 2008 03:41PM

I'm getting ready to use Nu-Skin Rod Armor for the 2nd time. The 1st time I used it was with a kit I picked up at the 2007 Rod Expo and it included 2 sided mylar tape.

This time I've ordered some from Mudhole but theirs doesn't include the mylar tape.

I'll be installing over EVA grips. My question is what should I use this time to "hold" the Armor in place. I did a search and see some mentioned using a little rod bond or rod finish underneath the Armor. But I also saw an earlier post that wrong adhesive could cause problems with material from which the Armor is made.

Anyone have a recommendation on what would be best to use (assuming I don't have any mylar tape)?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nu-Skin Rod Armor Installation
Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2008 07:56PM

I have used mylar tape, double sided masking tape, and I have used nothing. I can't tell the difference.

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2008 10:49PM

a little paste epoxy will not hurt at the ends

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2008 09:34AM

Over EVA you shouldn't need anything except at the very ends just to keep it from creeping. Once I have it installed and shrunk , I roll the ends up and apply a bit of epoxy, roll back in place and apply some more heat. Let that setup and your done.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 05, 2008 10:22AM

I hated using the mylar tape it comes with. It always rolled or it was a struggle to get the NuSkin over my cork tape underwraps. I have a number of rolls sitting on the shelf from various kits (want them?). I like to use an old shoemakers glue. The brand name is "Barge Cement", comes in a yellow squeeze tube and you can get it at any hardware store. I've probably used it on a dozen rods that I've put the NuSkin covering on. I usually put NuSkin over 2 wraps of cork tape. I've never had any of it slip, move, or do what I didn't want it to after lots of hard fishing use. NuSkin is great stuff, and now it comes in colors other than black.

Jon Gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2008 10:26AM by Jon Gold.

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: April 06, 2008 04:11AM

Another thing to remember with any of the shrink wrap is that even though it shrinks to about 1/2 it's size is that you should get the closet fitting size to what you want to wrap
i.e. If you have a 32mm handle you should use the 35mm shrink wrap even though the 40mm would work) I only usually glue the ends as well and leave a little to tuck under the reel seat and gimbal on a rear grip or under the reel seat and wrap and finish the end of a foregrip.
With it fitting almost snug from the start (before you heat it) you wont get that annoying feeling of it moving in your hands in the middle where it hasn't been glued.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 04:17AM by Simon Oakley.

Posted by: Jay Parkinson (---.dsl.sndg02.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 08:09PM

Regardless of the handle type, I always spray the entire area to be covered with 3M #99 adhesive. Rock solid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster