I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brush choice for finish
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 12:10PM

Wondering what everyone's using for brushes for finish application. Do you guys get the cheapo one-time use type brushes? Or do you go for the more expensive ox hair type brushes? What are your reasons - pro's/con's, etc.?

Thanks 'n stuuph.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brush choice for finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2008 12:14PM

Decent, flat and soft ox hair craft type brushes are what I use. Usually just a buck or so at most craft shops. Duro-Art from Chicago is my favorite. They can be cleaned with alcohol and warm soap and water, rinsed with cold water, and will last a good many rods. Do make sure to pull out any loose hairs prior to using them the first time. You may also want to clean them once, even though new, before first using them.

Epoxy manufacturers will tell you that brushes are not the proper application tool for epoxy and they're correct. A spatula is the proper tool but many of us still make do with brushes.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 12:27PM

Is there anything out there that shows the proper technique for using a spatula?

I have difficulties from time to time, and I think it's because I learn best by seeing, and I've never seen anyone or even read an explanation on the technique for using a spatula.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 12:31PM

Joe Kassuba from His Rod Shop has a video tutorial, on spatula application, on his web site. I don't have a link, but I'm sure you could get there from a Google search. He may even chime in.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 04:03PM

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 04:57PM

Thank you very much!!!!!

Posted by: vance corbett (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2008 05:38PM

Aaron... I've been going back and forth between brushes and spatulas. I have a handful of natural fiber brushes, none of which cost more than five dollars. My current "spatula" consists of a spear-point shaped piece of a .73mm thick Tortex guitar pick held in an Xacto knife handle. I dressed the edges with sandpaper and scratch wool. It works great. Regards, Vance

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2008 06:54PM

My spatula finish applicator of choice is a Flexcoat brush loaded with finish and held stationary behind a 200 rpm spinning target.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 07:21PM

Aaron

I use "golden taklon" brushes. They are relatively cheap (.50 ea ?) and easy to find at the big name arts/crafts stores. They come in 1/4" and 3/8" widths and have a flat profile, and are usually in 3 packs. They are also somewhat stiff and can be used like a spatula - the best of both worlds! The brushes I use to apply CP with I clean out and re-use a few times. I just pitch the ones that I use for finishing after one coat.

Check 'em out!

Rog

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 10:42PM

I have always used Flex Coat brushes. Then I tried Tom's flat 3/8 wide flat soft brushes for guide wraps,makes a world of difference. Much easier application and neater. I struggled with the round brushes but with enough practice I did a very good job. After trying the flat, ox hair, soft bristle brush, I will never use a round brush again. I have tried a spatula, but I still prefer the flat soft brush to the hard spatula. I use wider flat brushes for large guides and butt wraps. And I also clean them as Tom suggested and I can do a bunch of rods with one brush. I had a bunch of Flex Coat and Craft brushes on hand , so I snipped off the bristle end and use the plastic handle for a mixing stick.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: April 04, 2008 08:31AM

Good thread and good tutorial on the spatula. I use a spatula to apply the finish and a brush to remove the excess. For the most part I'm very pleased. Part of the reason I asked the question is because sometimes when I go back to use my brush again, I find them stiff and ruined, even after what I thought was a good thorough cleaning with brush cleaner. I buy the expensive brushed that Mudhole carries. So when I ruin one, I get a little PO'd. Can you guess when I ruined my last one?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.65.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 04, 2008 06:26PM

I use a cheap nylon brush or a spatula, depending on what is closer. Let the rod pull the finish from the tool, rather than using the tool to apply finish to the rod. Once you get the technique down, you can use just about anything with equally good results.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.209.---)
Date: April 05, 2008 10:36AM

Scott
Thanks for the rodshops link on spat. finish application. Got my 1st rod wrapped and trying to work up courage to mix that 1st batch of epoxy. Done some practice but having trouble getting the ends "square". Intended to use regular Flex-Coat but even after thinning/warming just not good w/that thickness of mix. G ot some F/C lite on the way. I think I will do better with 2 thin coats vs. 1 thick.

Chris

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2008 01:27PM

Aaron,
I jsut use the el cheapo flex coat brushes that I cut down..... it is what works for me and not to mention the fact it doesn't set me back but pennies an application

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster