I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Milky Finish
Posted by: Mark Marshall (97.95.157.---)
Date: April 01, 2008 09:21PM

I have just finished reworking my first rod. A practice rod, took off the old guides and replaced with new.
I finished with FC Lite. I did use a CP. I applied my first coat too think. The closer to the tip I got the more the finished looked like lumps. Some bubbles developed. About a week after the first coat I went for the second. Tried to even out the lumps but to luck. I figure I was trying to apply too much finish at one time. After about 8 or 9 days after the second coat I looked at the finish and it looks like second coat is starting to go from clear to a marbled, milky look. Just like when you start to mix the resin and hardner. Any comments would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Milky Finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2008 10:30PM

I can't imagine it changing from clear to milky or cloudy after the fact. My first thought is an incomplete mix but in that case it's not likely your finish would have cured very hard to begin with.

If you can provide more information on your measuring, mixing and application methods, we might be able to offer more help.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2008 08:05AM

I have seen this happen when a rod is somehow exposed to moisture, it gets under the finish usually happens where the finish is applied improperly and air and moisture can get under it small pin holes near guide foot is the usual culprit not much to do about it short of re wrapping and applying new finish.
You can place the rod in a warm area and it may clear up but will return once rod is exposed again
John

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2008 09:00AM

Black Thread? Flexcoat Color Preserver?

Date: April 02, 2008 10:18AM

Reply to previous comments.
1. blue thread with met silver end wraps.
2. CP was flex coat.
3. mixed 3 ccs each in flex coat mearsuring cup with steel spatula.
4. Cool conditions. Applied in my shop, no heat or ac. I would say 50 F range.
5. Cured inside after 9 hours on 4 rpm drying motor

OH Tom, this is a great site. I really appreciate the comments provided by you and the other members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2008 10:20AM by Mark Marshall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2008 01:35PM

The only thing I can imagine, and this is a odd time of the year for it to happen, is that you're experiencing amine blush, a condition whereby a certain combination of humidity and CO2 result in a cloudy or swirly looking appearance in the finish. Winter isn't usually when this happens due to extremely low humidity in most parts of the country. But, I wouldn't rule it out.

Try this - can you wipe the surface of the cloudy guides and does the cloudiness come off or change in any way?

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2008 04:40PM

one question how long did you let the cp dry? if it is not dryed long enough moisture is traped under the wraps. this will cause cloudness.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2008 09:35PM

I agree with the above posts.
I have seen this happen in various types finishes - including rod coatings.

In virtually every case it is a case of entrapped moisture.

This happens very frequently in the heat of summer when finishing is being done with high temps and high levels of humidity present.
With the high levels of humidity - it is quite easy to get excess moisture in a finish. Then, combine this with elevated temps - the cure is very quick and thus entraps the moisture.

Take care
Roger

Date: April 02, 2008 11:40PM

I applied the CP and took the rod from my shop, no heat or ac, into the house to dry. Lower humidity and higher temp. It sat for 2 days. But to finish the rod, I took it back out to the shop, cooler with higher humidity. I live in Tennessee. Other than clear bluebird days we have humidity. It was cool for the first finish coat and with the second also. I tried rubbing the film. I had limited success. I'm thinking maybe a contrast in temps with humidity.

Who ever said this was an addictive hobby knew what he was talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2008 11:43PM by Mark Marshall.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 08:20AM

Mark it is very rare for humidity to have any effect on epoxy, blushing as Tom mentioned does happen but very rarely, temperature yes cure time is easily changed by a few degrees. Curious if you happened to use DNA over the first coat of finish before applying the second, DNA will sometimes act as a moisture carrier and cause problems.
John

Date: April 03, 2008 09:08AM

No DNA
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Posted by: Loo Peng Leong (---.omega12.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: April 03, 2008 11:37AM

I have encountered this problem with one of my earlier rods... my friend dropped it into the sea, but was able to retrieve it, apparently the water got into the guide wrap from below the guide foot. Two guides wrap went milky, i suppose it is due to the CP coming into contact with water. Sometimes it disappear after it dries up, since then i make sure tat the epoxy finish covers the whole wrap and make sure that water (rain, seawater, washing) dont get in at all, other solution is not to use CP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster