I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slicing cork rings
Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.76.17.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 10:05PM

Trying to pick some brains here, what have any of you guy's come up with for slicing cork rings? I like to build my own cork handles and would like to make some small width rings, maybe 1/8" or less, I done a search but could not find any help, I am sure some of you have come up with some homemade somethings I could build.
Pictures would be a plus,
Thanks again, Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slicing cork rings
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 10:14PM

Try This [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 31, 2008 10:34PM

That's about exactly what I was talking about, one question though Mike, how do you adjust for different thickness sizes or is it just set for 1 size.
Thanks again.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 31, 2008 10:39PM

I use the aluminum jig by custom tackle. To adjust thickness I have 1/8" thick washers that I put beneath the ring.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 11:53PM

Dave,
I do the same thing.
The jig works very well and just put different thickness spacer in the bottom of the jig to get the thickness of the slice that you like.
The key thing with this jig from Custom jigs is to use the right saw.
The kerf of the saw needs to be .010 or less. With this saw, you will able to fit the grooves in the jig, and you will have very minimal cork removal while slicing.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2008 12:39AM

i made a fixture for my 12 in band saw adjustable to any thickness, cuts clean and fast

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2008 12:41AM

If you have a band saw it's easily done by adjusting the fence to different spacing intervals when used with a simple block. Just use double-stick carpet tape to hold a cork ring to the block. I have a pretty cheap little band saw ($90) and use a cork slicing jig I purchased from golden witch (when they were sponsors), but you could just as easily use a small 1" X 2" block guided along the saw's adjustable fence.

Torin.

Date: April 01, 2008 07:56AM

Thanks for the help, I think I am going to try and build something along the lines of what Mike has, by looking at it again I do believe I may be able to put washers under the cork to make thinner rings if I want.
Rob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster