I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
ThreadMaster Lite
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-196-93.myvzw.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 12:12PM

Recently one of my Distributors called to my attention that there was a discussion on this board pertaining to some curing problems with ThreadMaster Lite. I'd like to take this opportunity to say that we are expierencing aboslutely ZERO curing/contamination problems with TM Lite. Many of you that are expierence problems with finish are convinced that it is a contaminated batch, or that there is something wrong with the finish, and nothing could be further from the truth. Chemicals don't have a brain, or a personality, and can't make decisions as to when they will cure and when they won't. Or one day they'll fisheye and one day they won't. Instead the focuse needs to be on sound finishing parctices BY THE USER.

I'd like to adress some of the comments in the thread below one by one:

MY FINISH IS FISHEYEING, IT MUST BE CONTAMINATED
Absolutely Impossible, we manufacture this finish in lots of 500 gallons at a time. If it were contaminated, thousands and thousands of people around the globe would be having problems, and it's simply not happening. I get about 1 person every 90 days with fisheyes, and it can always be traced back to contamination by the user....ALWAYS.

MY FINISH IS NOT CURING...SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH IT.
Incorrect, many many of you asked me to take TM High Build, and give it a longer potlife, and a thinner viscosity...I gave this to you in the form of TM Lite. However longer potlife and thinner viscosity come with a price, and that price is longer tack time, and a longer overall cure time. Additionally, epoxies cure through exothermic reactions, and during the winter time ALL FINISHES take longer to cure if the room temperature is not monitored carefully. Even a variation of 2-3 degrees can make a huge difference to a chemical mixture. Again the responsability has to be on the user to moitor room temp., accurate measuring, proper mixing tecnique.
Just last week I built 8 rods in an unheated shop at 58 degrees with the lite. Yes, it took 2-3 days to cure, but that's what happens when you use it in cold weather. It's like complaining that water freezes when it gets cold.....well that's what happens!!!!

The bottom line is that we have dozens of OEM's in both the U.S. and in Europe who are using this stuff daily, in amounts that the custom rodbuilder could never use in a lifetime, and I have recieved ZERO complaints....none.

Anyway, I'll be more than happy to discuss this with any of you on a personal basis, feel free to email me anytime. Just know that epoxies don't have a mind of their own, and can't just decied that one day they are going to fisheye or take longer to cure. I know it's very east to want to blame an outside source for finishing problems (or any problem for that matter), but be assured, it's the responsability of the user to make sure they are using it correctly, and understand the limitations in which the finish was meant to be used, and any environmental factors that go along with the use of epoxy in general.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing
www.lamarfishing.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ThreadMaster Lite
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 12:42PM

Great post Andy, I love TM and have never had an issue.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 12:45PM

The only thing wrong with Threadmaster Lite is it allows a hack rodbuilder like me to be able to pass my work off as being done by a Professional - maybe that's not a bad thing afterall.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 12:51PM

I did two rods last night. I've probably done a dozen or so with TM lite. I love the stuff. I mix 2 or 3 ml at a time minimum in a mechanical mixer for 5 minutes. Great stuff!

I've not had any problems at all.

Thank you Andy!!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 01:54PM

I'm in MI and never had a problem with it in winter in the basement!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 02:13PM

I guess this is one of the "HACK RODBUILDERS" as mentioned above. I use TM all the time and for the most part I agree with what Andy says but on the onther hand any chemical that is manufactured has the chance of having problems....I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH TM IN ANY WAY. I love this site and I find it offensive to call rodbuilders "Hacks" in a posting.........I am sure us hacks help keep the sponsors in business as well as anyone. There are great people on this site. I AM FOR PROMOTING RODBUILDING AND NOT INTRODUCING A BUNCH OF SNOBBERY INTO OUR DIALOGUE..............

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 02:20PM

I live in the Arctic and while it takes 12-18 hours before I will touch a wrap and another day or so to really harden up it works how it is supposed to. But heck it's -60C in the winter.......................................everything is slow at that temp. :>)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 02:53PM

Take a pill John, reread my post. "Hack" was MY referrence to MY skills - nobody elses. I would not make a personal attack towards anyone or any group on this site.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 03:48PM

How long does it take for the light version to become fully hardened? I ushually use it only as my first coat for easy bubble release. Then cover it with some other brand or type. Also my customers take the rods so i dont have it long enough to find out.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 03:50PM

I reread my post it sounds like im asking about curing im talking about the hardness of the surface i notice it stays soft for weeks like aftco does.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 03:53PM

ThreadMaster & ThreadMaster Lite are the best rod building finishes I have used. They're in the top three with Perma Gloss, IMO.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 04:01PM

I do apologize Tim...............

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 04:51PM

Hey, Tim, can I join the "Hack RodBuilders Association" (HRBA for short). You can be the President.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.185.---)
Date: March 31, 2008 05:08PM

don't tread on me uncle russ. i'm the hackiest of the hacks and <<i>> am president, CEO and overall leader. at least for the freshwater trout fly segment.

i believe hack was used in a finely presented form of self-deprecation in the original post.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 06:08PM

KINDA CATCHY....."THREADMASTER-HACKMASTER".....I WANNABE A CLUB MEMBER

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 06:48PM

Russ Pollack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, Tim, can I join the "Hack RodBuilders
> Association" (HRBA for short). You can be the
> President.
>
> Uncle Russ
> Calico Creek Rods

How about the North East Hack Rod Builders Association (NEHRBA) LOL

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 06:52PM

I don't think we are all in the NE, as I resemble that remark also. But, I do my best!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-197-84.myvzw.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 07:11PM

Tim,
Your post just gave my product the highest compliment possible.....I know you were being a little self depricating in a funny way, but that's what we strive for is to make products easy enough to use that the beginner can achieve professional results. I certainly don't expect everyone to become a dedicated ThreadMaster user, but I do hope that everyone who tries it to at least give it a fair shot under the correct circumstances, and be honest about user error when it doesn't work. Or at the very least, contact me directly and ask me what they're doing wrong, instead of blaming the product.
As for the comparison to Aftcote, I would say that's somewhat accurate but I would add this. Aftcote NEVER hardens up...never. I have sample swatches that are 3 years old and still as soft as the day I poured them. TM Lite will eventually get almost as hard as the High Build does. Having said that, that does NOT make Aftcote a bad finish....just a soft one.

Thanks Tim...I guess now I'll have to have some T-Shirts made up for the "UnOfficial ThreadMaster Hack RodBuilders Club"

Thanks guys for all your support, it really means a lot.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 08:18PM

andy, i do have to say i love your product. the first rod i built with it i had some issues. I attributed it to 1) first time using the product and acting a bit different than what I was used to.... and 2) the rod was sitting for a while in my hobby room before finishing and i suspect some super fine dust got on it that I didn't see... resulting in some frustration (though the end product turned out ok). I corrected MY bad habits and the issues disappeared.

i have made several rods with TM regular since that time and have had none of the issues. perfect, crystal clear finish with no bubbles and nice and level even on long wraps/decals.... very nice!

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 09:37PM

I cannot believe how Clear,Flat, and Bubble free it Cures! Absolutely Fabulous!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster