I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

L.I. NERBS Gathering
Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2008 10:02PM

Just wanted to thank you guys for another fun event. The amount of talent with many different specialties in that small a room was impressive to say the least. As usual it was great to talk to Billy, Ralph, Sean, Capt. Neil and all the others. I wish I knew Brad was coming in from MTK, I would have been more than happy to give him a ride, although not too sure how much he would have enjoyed the dead, Phish and the Allman Brothers on Sirius, LOL. Can't wait to the next time.

Thanks again

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: L.I. NERBS Gathering
Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2008 10:57PM

I must say this being my first meeting, it was very educational and fun.. This was a great gathering thanks again Billy, and thanks to Bernie Cohen for walking me through the steps
of doing grip inlays and Capt Neil for clarifying the concept behind the spiral wrap...The great thing about these gatherings is that you can pick the brains of those with the knowledge
and without hesitation, they all share their secrets and dont think twice about lending a hand. I have been officially Nerb'd.

thanks again all,
Fernando Torres-NERB

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 31, 2008 09:06AM

Glad you guys enjoyed yourselfs and found it worth your time. I never know what to expect, and am always worried someone feels "left out". I did my best to at least spend 5 minutes talking with every builder there, but I still never know. I think the total for the day was 32 people, although there were about 8 non-builders. I know 2 didn't show up, and I had to turn away 4 builders becasue we were way over teh limit already. Now that I see the space we have to work with, I will be better prepared next time we have a LI NERB Gathering in Trophy Fishing Tackle.

I'd like to thank John from TFT for allowing us to use his shop. There was a really impressive display of everything Tuna Fishing - rods, reels, line, jigs, etc, etc. I look forward to doing another one of these in the Fall (November) , and maybe another 2 over the Winter (January & March). IF anyone has ideas or suggestions on how to make these gatherings more interesting & informative, please let me know.

Thanks to all who attended, I'll be contacting each individually to thank you "in person".

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 10:19AM

Hi Billy,

That was a great gathering!!! What is great to see is the renowned rod builders who preceeded me (older than me) lending their support to the new generation of rod builders. When I see the work that individuals like you, Doc Ski, Tom Kirkman, Putter and his group AND ALL the other builders (to numerous to name even if I could remember), the designers of new programs and books are doing I know rod building is in good hands. Yes, the internet has made a big difference BUT it is still the people that count. I am proud to say I include many of these builders as good friends.

I forgot to tell you that Putter sent his best. Brad Baker is still talking about what a great time he had. You have to keep us old goats informed and involved. We need love too. Ha! Ha!

I think pink crocs should be the initiation to be a NERB's member. Ha! Ha!

Thank you.

Neil

Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dalecarnegie.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 12:19PM

Great job putting the event together, Billy.

The craftsmanship on display by Bernie, Ralph, Sean and yourself was quite impressive and your modesty and willingness to share was something that you don't often see in a room full of artisians. Heck, I was invited to a free gathering that had the two finest grip inlay artists in the world PLUS a few of the finest crosswrap artists and a world class weaver all in one place at one time. A rodbuilder couldn't possible ask for any more.

Thanks again!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 31, 2008 01:36PM

A few more Hieneken's would have been nice? lol.

Neil, I'm really, really glad Brad enjoyed himself, it was GREAT seeing him there and I hoped that it would be worth it for him to come there. It was important for me to make sure he had a good time and was comfortable.

Ken, thank you. The lone reason these gatherings are as good as they are, is because of all the people who attend and make them what they are. I'm proud to say that this is the 3rd NERB Gatehring this wrapping season, and each one was great in a different way. The sleepover at MJ's house in November, listening to Bernie in my shop in January, and the large number of people who showed up yesterday, all ages, skill levels - it was just GREAT. For me, all the time and effort I spend preparing and coordinating these events is WELL WORTH it, adn I have each person who attends to thank for it.

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 02:58PM

Billy congratulations on running a beautiful event. I always maintained that rod builders are great people and the group at the meeting were a pleasure to be with. The tackle shop was something I never could imagine being so well organized and clean and really beautiful. John Sr. and John Jr. were great hosts and very likable people. You can count on me to attend anytime you feel like inviteing me. Looking forward to the next time.

Posted by: John Minutillo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 04:04PM

Billy, great job putting everything together yesterday, I had a great time. It's nice to be able to put faces with the wraps on the site now. Some awesome work there, was nice to see it up close. Count me in for the next gathering.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 04:54PM

Great time yesterday. Billy, thanks again for your efforts and what you do for NERB's. Thanks to John at TFT for use of his shop, very nice shop. As Ken mentioned, some really nice work from grips to weaves and crosswraps, from some of the best in the business. Some really great weaves, Cartman and Jerry Garcia!! Looking forward to the next one!!

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 08:13PM

Thanks Billy and anyone else who was invovled in putting this together, I enjoyed it very much. I think the NERBS needs their own forums tho since we have very specific kinds of fishing and rod building needs here in the north east.

Posted by: louis caruso (---.keyspanenergy.com)
Date: April 01, 2008 08:33AM

Was so sorry I had to miss this one. Was to be my first and had to go out of town unexpectidly. Hope to see you all at the next one.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster