I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using a spey blank for a centerpin rod
Posted by: Rob Viala (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 05:37PM

I have a customer who wants a 15 foot center pin rod built. The only blanks that I have found in the 15 foot range are a St Croix spey blank. Would any of you recommend using the spey blanks for a center pin rod? Has anyone used them? Should I look at a different blank? Maybe a different manufacture? What kind of reel seat and guide set would match up for them?

Thanks in advance.
Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using a spey blank for a centerpin rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 28, 2008 06:27PM

I wouldn't use a spey blank as they are heavy and the tip isn't right, at least on the ones I've tried from spey blanks. There are float rod blanks that length from quite a few manufacturers, you just have to select the correct power rating for the customer, and than find a blank that matches. The 15 ft length doesn't seem to be as popular as it was as a lot of companies stopped making them. Talon here in the US no longer makes one over 13 ft and Sage has stopped making the long rods also. If there are any left they are in Canada from companies like the Raven IM9 blank.
The rods I've used usually use the M style guides from Batson or Pac Bay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 06:47PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 28, 2008 11:49PM

Rob
Raven makes 2 different 15 foot blanks in IM8 and IM9.
The IM9 is a beast of a rod while the IM8 is a little softer and lighter in the hand.
Loomis Canada has 2 different 15 foot Frontier blanks (Rain Shadow)
Sometime next month JC Tackle in Ontario will have a newly designed 15 foot CTS float blank available.
Maybe one day Loomis will sell us their new 15 foot GLX in a blank.
You can still get 15 foot Hardy blanks as well.
Spey blanks work well for West Coast fisheries with their bigger fish and faster flows.
I am using Batson M guides on the IM8 I'm building right now. Other popular guides are Fuji LVSG's and TLVSG's as well as AMTAk Titans.
As for reel seats talk with your customer, some like sliding rings while others like custom seats or seats like the Fuji Cobra.
Here's a link to my latest float rod handle.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.dsl1.pco.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2008 11:45AM

I agree heartly agree that spey conversions work well out here on the West Coast.

The majority of the float rods I build are on the Rainshadow RX7 spey blanks and my customers have been extremely pleased with their performance, but like Dave said we are fishing bigger fish and heavier flows.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: March 30, 2008 03:02PM

ROb,

As a center-pin/float road builder, my advice would be to research a bit first before you build him a rod. You may be an expert rod builder, but building a float rod takes a bit of understanding of the concept before delving into it. First off:

(Some of the common questions of course)
What is the guy going to be fishing for?
Big rivers or small rivers?
What his expectations of the rod?
Fats or slow actions?

Float rod questions:
What "mainline" does he like to use?
Does he want a long rear grip or a short one? HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEEN THE TWO!!!
Does he want a short or long fore grip?

Like it has been stated, RAven is a FINE producer of float rod blanks. Matter of fact, they are truly the best-bang-for the buck out there!! Period. No reason to up grade these rods at a later date, many selections, nice straight blanks unlike the boomerangs from Loomis, and a great warranty. Plus, rock soild durability and matte finishes.

Also, the Rainshado blanks I have built many. They are OUTSTANDING RODS! But, the actions and line rating are geared towards big fish. Plus, they have no rods in the 14/15 foot range that are rated down to 10#, which is the most common line rating used I have found.

If you need anymore suggestions or guidance, drop me an email and I will give you a hand with guide spacing and all the specifics!

Paul
Alaska Fish Stix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2008 03:04PM by Paul Rotkis.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 30, 2008 05:49PM

Mark Crouse at The Rod Shop to the left may also be able to help you.

Posted by: Rob Viala (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 31, 2008 01:33PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I truely appreciate the help. I will be talking with my customer more and getting some more detailed information. I'll ask more questions. Take some notes and post what information I can.

Thanks again
Sincerely,
Rob Viala

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster