I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions before I attempt my first casting rod
Posted by: Eric Davidson (---.armstrong.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 01:52PM

I have a 6'6" Batson ISJ782 blank that I'd like to make into a casting rod. I've only made spinning rods so far so I figured I'd better ask a few questions before I start...

If I paint the blank will the tip still be 5.0 or will I need to order a larger tip?

Do I need to use double foot guides for the whole rod or can I substitute fly guides (like Batson's F guide) for the smaller ones? My thought was to use a 12, 10, and 8 double foot guides then fill out the rest of the rod with size 6 fly guides.

Reel seat size...How do I know what size to order? Do I need to order a reel seat that is slightly smaller (inside diameter) than the blank at the point that I want the reel seat to sit and then use my reamer to make it fit?

Hopefully these questions haven't been answered a million times already. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for when I used the search feature but I also didn't go through all the pages (there were over 100 pages of results).

Thanks,
Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions before I attempt my first casting rod
Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 02:20PM

Imo..I would size the tip top before paint then using a razor remove the paint just short of the end of the top barrel and glue it in place directly to the naked blank.
I like to use #12 double foot guide then #8 doublefoot guide then #8 fly guide then all #6 fly guides.
Reel seats I believe bigger is better for comfort in the hand. the only time this gets tricky is if you use a "windowed" seat then order it to fit or 1 size smaller, then ream to fit. hope it helps

Jason Kesckes. Aint no fish'n like bass fish'n

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: March 28, 2008 02:34PM

Eric, it seems that the common reply on this board when asking what size to get is to order the size that you think you need and then get the next size larger and the next size smaller. This way you'll for sure have size you need and build an inventory for your next rods. Are you going to spiral wrap? Don't forget about a double foot six for the bumper.

Mike

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 03:07PM

Expounding a little more on Jason's advice, instead of scraping the paint off, mask the area where you have sized your tip. Then you will not have to worry about possibly nicking the blank. If you have the tip top, just slip it on, mark the butt end of the tube. Then take it off, and wrap with masking tape just a little tipward of the mark. Then paint away.

Bill in WV

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 04:50PM

I have pretty much completely stopped using double foot guides. If you are putting the guides on top I would use ALPS light XN single foot guides since they are taller than the Fuji Alconites. Start with an 8 then maybe one 7 then the rest 6’s. If you are doing a spiral wrap I use Alconites. Use an 8 for the stripper, it still has some height off of the blank, and 6’s for the rest. That is a conservative setup now days, if you really want to get light look at the various micro guides.

If you can have the dealer size the reel seat to the blank. If you already have the blank the dealer can still probably size the seat to a blank that he has in stock, just tell them what length handle you want. They may ask if you want a tight fit or a loose fit if the seat falls between sizes, I get the tight fit since you can always ream the seat to the final fit.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 05:00PM

Try this set up!
Rod Blank Model # ISJ782
Butt cap: HDCCBC20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG9A-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-11.5-TC
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: FG200A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top LTCPUT06R04.5
1st guide from tip top LTCFUG06
2nd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
3rd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
4th guide from tip top LTCFUG06
5th guide from tip top: LTCFUG07
6th guide from tip top: LTCFUG08
7th guide from tip top: LTCUDUG10
8th guide from tip top: LTCUDUG12
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.25-7.75-12-16.5-22-28-35.5-44

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 05:37PM

Personally (just my opinion) I can't think of ANY rod that would benefit from more than 4 guide sizes. I rarely use more than 3. I would do a simple spiral with 10 or 12 DF butt guide, 1st bottom guide a fly type #8 andf the rest fly type #6 and the "bumber" guide a fly #6 or 8. There really isn't a right or wrong way or a short cut to static testing. I would stay away from ANY standardized charts, etc. Let the blank tell you what is best.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 07:41PM

Well the fuji carded guide set kits are the easiest thing to use and the sizes they pick out for you are very nice, they make for a perfect transition when you look at the rod as a whole. the line path looks nice and straight. the guide heights dont jump dramatically from one to the the next.

This helps for resale if you ever going to try and sell the rod. A rod with only a few guide sizes looks odd to people and may hurt resale. It wont be questioned and you wont have to sit there trying to convince them it is fine and what not.

These are fuji alconites the same sizes apply to the concept SIC guides also. This set goes for around $20 bucks retail or you can just buy them individually.

1ea.BLNAG12J, 10J, BUNAG8J, 1ea.BUNAG7J, 1ea.BLAG7J, 4ea.BLAG6J For 6 - 7ft. Casting Rods

I have used this setup many times and it works well

[www.anglersresource.net]`s+Resource&style=Carded+Items,+Guide+Sets&id=39

sorry my link is not working I tried to edit it a couple of times and its still not working right

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 07:45PM by Henry Engle.

Posted by: mike harris (96.33.86.---)
Date: March 28, 2008 09:40PM

I still don’t see why you would ever put a double foot guide on a 6’6” 2 power rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 09:44PM

The Fuji sets may work but I don't think that they would give anywhere close to available performance! How can they know anything about the rod you are building, type of fishing, the user, grip length, etc. Keep in mind that the Fuji "concept" system is not the New Guide Concept method.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 10:32PM

mike harris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still don’t see why you would ever put a double
> foot guide on a 6’6” 2 power rod.

because the most common sizes to start with are 12 and they are not made in a single foot guide in that size?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 10:37PM by Henry Engle.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2008 11:23AM

A drastic jump in guide size does not create a drastic drop in line path. Just the opposite is true. A more gradual drop in many, many guide sizes results in a line path that is something along the lines of a roller coaster, but one that will still work.

There is nothing wrong with using a chart or guide set, particularly for the beginner. It makes the task of parts selection easier and will certainly work. As time goes on and he gains more experience, he can begin choosing his guides and related pieces one at a time to further the performance of his rod. All of us were beginners once and we must admit that the initial guide selection task can be daunting at times. The main thing is to get a few rods under your belt and build the confidence that comes from knowing that you actually can build a rod that will work as well or better than what you buy off the rack.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 10:09AM

I would strongly recommend you think about painting the blank. Sounds like a great way to open a can of worms, (appearance/durability of the finish) and it has to be detrimental to the mass of the blank, and therefore its sensitivity. Along the same vein, the smaller/lighter you can make the guides, the better for the action of the rod.

Regarding sizing the reel seat, I purchased a caliper for less than $20 and it allows me to measure the rod butt diameter and get the perfect reel seat every time. It has other uses around the shop, so it's a handy tool to have.

Posted by: Eric Davidson (---.armstrong.com)
Date: March 31, 2008 12:57PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I want to paint this blank because I have a few friends that are asking if I can make them colored blanks and I'd rather test it on a blank for me rather than a blank for someone else. I hadn't really thought about a spiral wrap but will probably do it now that you guys brought it up. We'll see how this turns out.

Thanks!!!!
Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster